valve kit anyone ?

• Thread starter Deleted member 188516
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 188516

does anybody use valve based components ?

for example a valve integrated amplifier or maybe a matching valve cd player to go with it too ?

i understand valve based equipment has a select group of fans, much like vinyl followers, as this equipment has a distinct sound character.

what could be expected from a valve based cd player and integrated amplifier system ?

TrevC

does anybody use valve based components ?

for example a valve integrated amplifier or maybe a matching valve cd player to go with it too ?

i understand valve based equipment has a select group of fans, much like vinyl followers, as this equipment has a distinct sound character.

what could be expected from a valve based cd player and integrated amplifier system ?
I used to back in the old days. EL84 /ECC83 amplifier, home brew 6L6 / 6SN7 amplifier. Then I bought some Sinclair Z12 modules that blew them away. I used to have a collection of 78s until my mum gave them to the scout jumble sale. Valves don't belong in a CD player, they will only make it worse.
Stick to solid state.

D

Deleted member 188516

I used to back in the old days. EL84 /ECC83 amplifier, home brew 6L6 / 6SN7 amplifier. Then I bought some Sinclair Z12 modules that blew them away. I used to have a collection of 78s until my mum gave them to the scout jumble sale. Valves don't belong in a CD player, they will only make it worse.
Stick to solid state.

how did the valve kit sound ?

D

Deleted member 188516

Plus1, is this a serious question or do you want someone to own up that you can have a dig at?
Go listen to some......

its a genuine / serious question.
(why would i have a dig at them ?)

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 188516

I liked the sound at the time, smooth but it was lacking in oomph. I had Leak Mini Sandwich speakers back then.

could it be stated then that valve based equipment is more suited to a specific genre of music, listener or both ?

D

Deleted member 188516

Still loving my Unison Research S8 integrated. Nothing sounds quite like a quality Valve Amp.

would you say valve kit is more suited to a particular genre of music or listener in general ?

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
would you say valve kit is more suited to a particular genre of music or listener in general ?
I think there are slight compromises with tube amps and ss amps. I definitely wouldn't describe them as laid back. You don't get quite the instant snap of ss amps with tubes. But bearing in mind that bands like the stones play through tube amps. This is when a tube hifi amp comes into its own. From bluesy guitars to overdriven tube screamers. Nothing replicates a tube amp like a tube amp. It's organic.

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
I really liked an audio research valve pre amp and I tried an AVM was lovely and smooth, but it’s never been a great alrounder for electronic and sound which is natural and not ‘full fat’. That’s my problem with it. It suits people who maybe only like single types of music where it might be better. The best pre amp I tried in review journeys with people bringing stuff around too, and loaners, was a Bryston BP17 cubed pre, by far. It has all the neutrality and a bit of warmth but loads of realistic sound timbrally for solid state and all the speed Which tube amps don’t tend to have. That’s what I’d do, go for a really neutral solid state amp and you don’t need to overdose on thick tonality.

damonster

Oct 30, 2008
Visit site
I really liked an audio research valve pre amp and I tried an AVM was lovely and smooth, but it’s never been a great alrounder for electronic and sound which is natural and not ‘full fat’. That’s my problem with it. It suits people who maybe only like single types of music where it might be better. The best pre amp I tried in review journeys with people bringing stuff around too, and loaners, was a Bryston BP17 cubed pre, by far. It has all the neutrality and a bit of warmth but loads of realistic sound timbrally for solid state and all the speed Which tube amps don’t tend to have. That’s what I’d do, go for a really neutral solid state amp and you don’t need to overdose on thick tonality.
Funny that. I owned a Bryston br60 amp then bought a shanling stp-80 valve amp. Sold the bryston a week later. Bryston are beautifully neutral. But couldnt compete with my shanling tube amp. I have wide taste in music from radiohead to fleetwood mac, stevie wonder and rolling stones. None of us can claim to be superior. Tastes,, transports, dacs, cables, rooms, treatments and our own perception of what sounds good all play a part. Yet none of us are right or wrong.

Simon 13th note

BANNED
Jul 27, 2020
Visit site
Not equitable models and beware of extrapolation across ranges. I’d say those music types suit valve but what of fast arpegiated synths of Todd Terje, dub or house. Acid house or even some fast jazz types. Or even audiophile tastes like yello. The solid state sound is undeniably better for those types , so you really suss out what people like with music. Horses for courses

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts