Valve cd players

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

aversaurus

I'm a sucker for anything a bit different and I do like a valve sound.but there expensive or old or both on eBay.and I can't really understand what your paying for I could build a analogue output for under £20 with valves .

D

Deleted member 201267

So nobody has actually heard a valve equipped CD player then ?

How would the use of valves change a CD players sound anyway ?

So nobody has actually heard a valve equipped CD player then ?

How would the use of valves change a CD players sound anyway ?
I have heard Audio Research valved CD players, but only at a hotel demo. I think the idea is that valve/tube smoothness (or distortion!) takes the perceived digital ’edge’ off the sound, so results in a more enjoyable outcome.

Last edited:

TrevC

I had a crystal set as a child, made from a kit. We did need a 80 foot cable to act as the aerial but it was great. Only headphones, mind, but it’ll save electricity!
Me too. I also made one using a toilet roll tube and enamelled wire from some old TV scan coils. An OA81 diode, I seem to remember. Worked well because we were in a good reception area near Brookmans Park.

Reactions: nopiano
Some more details here :-
In a way, that's what I meant - I've read what MF has to say about them, but don't 'know' it first hand. I would be very interested to hear how NV gear sounds in comparison with my own - might be a retirement present to self as and when.

D

Deleted member 201267

In a way, that's what I meant - I've read what MF has to say about them, but don't 'know' it first hand. I would be very interested to hear how NV gear sounds in comparison with my own - might be a retirement present to self as and when.

I like how the Nu-Vista 800 units are symmetrical in design. I believe they are the last Antony Michaelson designs before he retired. Go on treat yourself !

Reactions: aversaurus

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts