V psu 2 and a v-link 2?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Tomorrow is payday, i will be ordering a v-psu 2 and was thinking of buying a v-link 2 as i can use the optical out and connect to my dac, i have hear this will sound better than listening through the usb, does anyone know if it will be worth doing, should i spend 100 pound's? will there be a difference? i might just buy one anyway as the v-link is quite a handy bit of kit to have should i wish to upgrade my dac at a later stage..

oldric_naubhoff

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
jimm said:
was thinking of buying a v-link 2 as i can use the optical out and connect to my dac, i have hear this will sound better than listening through the usb, does anyone know if it will be worth doing,

this is an excerpt from MF's website regarding V-DAC II

"The new V-DAC II has an asynchronous USB input. This is exactly the same technology and programming as used in our highly successful, enthusiastically reviewed V-Link."

as for V-Link II. it seems only to be original V-Link in new cloths.

making an answer for your question out of it shouldn't cause problems... or should it?

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi Jimm,

I took the same route with the original V-DAC.

Both V-Link and V-PSU improved my set up. You have a decent amp and speakers, I guess the source is your weakest link now.

My only problem was that I ended up turning a neat little budget DAC into a not-so-budget DAC and then realizing that I'd rather have gone for a superior mid-level DAC in the first place.

The V-Link is a useful piece if you have a computer source, it's not perfect but does a reasonable job for the price.

YMMV!

A

Anonymous

True, however i am sure there is more jitter using the usb, the optical out is jitter free and has less distortian, i wont be buying one just yet.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
jimm said:
True, however i am sure there is more jitter using the usb, the optical out is jitter free and has less distortian, i wont be buying one just yet.

No SPDIF source is jitter free, although I assume you are referring to the reclocking of the USB to SPDIF that the VLINK II would be doing. I think asynchronous USB perfomance (which is driven by the DAC acting as a clock reference) will be as good as the optical SPDIF, and will be £100 cheaper :)

A

Anonymous

v-psu 2 arrived this morning, hooked up to the dac, bass is much improved, seperation between instrument's is better, the v-psu has created a wider sound stage, if you own a v-dac/2 i recommend you add the psu, it's worth it.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
jimm said:
v-psu 2 arrived this morning, hooked up to the dac, bass is much improved, seperation between instrument's is better, the v-psu has created a wider sound stage, if you own a v-dac/2 i recommend you add the psu, it's worth it.

Good to know ... thanks for the mini review!

TBH I find the price a bit much to take, but it's probably the only option if you need a power supply with matching aesthetics to the VDAC-2. I have access to a lab grade linear power supply (< 1mV ripple/noise), and am going to try that out to see if I can hear what you hear :). If that brings about an improvement I'll consider making one!

A

Anonymous

I am always on hand for 'mini' review's :) i know it's made a diiference because i can hear it, i hope you have the same sucess with your power supply.

TRENDING THREADS