V+ Box connection Help

Qwalme

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Ok I have done a search on the forum but just want to confirm what I have read as I cannot look first hand - this is for my brother and I have Sky+.

To get 'the best' from his V+ box I should be connecting the V+ to the amp via HDMI and also an optical cable for DD sound?

Is the only benifit of the Optical cable to give DD sound on BBC HD or are there sound benefits from other channels too?

What would be the loss if I just used a HDMI cable?

Thanks

Rick

Messiah

You are right with the connections.

You will get DD from BBC HD but there is also some DD material 'On Demand' to. However there is still not a great deal.

I don't think you will hear many benefits from any other channels.

Qwalme

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for confirming that Messiah. I will just put the option of the optical to him and let him make the choice.

Cheers!

Qwalme

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
If he goes with the optical - do I run the HDMI (visual) directly to the TV and the Optical to the Amp. Or run both directly to the amp?

I think his amp is going to be the Yamaha AX763 (if they ever arrive).

A

Anonymous

Qwalme:
If he goes with the optical - do I run the HDMI (visual) directly to the TV and the Optical to the Amp. Or run both directly to the amp?

my bro has been waiting around 3months for his to surface as yamaha seem to have cut back on rolling them out of the production line, stupid really as he is starting to consider an alternative as are others I imagine.

Qwalme

Nov 18, 2007
Visit site
Yeah I'm looking for a cheap bargin while we wait for it. Daft as you say since they havent got the new models out.

A

Anonymous

Qwalme:

If you HDMI from V+ to the TV how will you get sound from your AV amp and speakers?
Also if you HDMI to your AV amp you can use your amp as the switching box meaning that if you change from Virgin to DVD you only need to press one button, where as if you could end up having to press two or three (i.e. change TV input, change AV imput, etc)

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
ashworth_rich:Qwalme:

If you HDMI from V+ to the TV how will you get sound from your AV amp and speakers?

With the optical lead.

True Blue

Oct 18, 2008
Visit site
I have my V+ box connected to my tv via HDMI so noraml viewing is done, ahem, through the TV speakers (sorry- wife insisted)

However I also run an optical to the back of my Denon for when I am watching.

Dont worry about having to press loads of buttons etc as posted above, just turn down the sound on the TV remote turn on the amp and select whatever you have assigned the optical input as (mine is quick select 3)

A

Anonymous

Sounds like a lot of faff! :)

you could always get a learning remote and set up a macro (I did this) which really helps.
But ideally jsut set it up right from day one using the HDMI and have the AV amp as the switch.
One remote, one set of input selections and tell the wife the speakers in the TV dont work!

My wife now hates the TV speakers after a few months of surround sound....trust me it'll work.
:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts