USEFUL LIFESPAN OF PLASMA SCREENS

skipper

Jan 24, 2009
Visit site
Hi all.I am about to purchase one of the new generation of Samsung 3D Plasma screens.My question is,what is useful life of a plasma screen?I have heard and read stories of plasmas losing their brightness and/or color with time.Is this true?I am buying a plasma simply because it offers the biggest screen size per pound.

A

Anonymous

I know panasonics have had tests done, and the blacks do rise, but by such a small amount, you would never notice this with your eye.

I am not sure were I saw it, but the guy tested the blacks of a panny plasma that was years old, he bought it, tested and then tested again last year.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Well, 100,000 hours is about par for the course now, but note that this means 100,000 before the screen is only able to deliver half its original brightness.

Even with a serious TV habit, watching say 5 hours of TV per evening, seven days a week, that equates to about 55 years. And were you to run the set 24/7, you'd still get more than 11 years out of it before it had dimmed down to half-brightness.

D

Deleted member 2457

If when you turned a tv off (eg by the power switch), does it still making a noise for about 8 seconds say afterwards, from i think from the fan at the back of the top tv - sound normal? ie like a cooling down quiet swirling noise.

Cheers

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Whoah – another off-topic swerve there, gel. Remember, in the future: mirror, signal, manouevre.

Yes: if the power is still being supplied - ie it's in standby - the fans may run for a short while. If you kill the power completely the fans may continue to spin for a few seconds.

D

Deleted member 2457

Andrew Everard said:
Yes: if the power is still being supplied - ie it's in standby - the fans may run for a short while. If you kill the power completely the fans may continue to spin for a few seconds.

Cool, cheers Andrew. What about lots of clicking and creaking noises - i know alot of tvs do it- some more than others, but say if it does it alot, is it just part of the tv and you can't do anything about it? You can hear it when it's on from time to time and then when you turn it off, it does it for a while afterwards ,while it is cooling down again.

Cheers

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
gel said:
Cool, cheers Andrew. What about lots of clicking and creaking noises - i know alot of tvs do it- some more than others, but say if it does it alot, is it just part of the tv and you can't do anything about it? You can hear it when it's on from time to time and then when you turn it off, it does it for a while afterwards ,while it is cooling down again.

Heat-related expansion and contraction.

D

Deleted member 2457

Andrew Everard said:
gel said:

Heat-related expansion and contraction.

Cool, cheers for all that. Big Smile, oh and Big Smile on the off-topic swerve.

Cheers mate

D.J.KRIME

Jun 28, 2007
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
Well, 100,000 hours is about par for the course now, but note that this means 100,000 before the screen is only able to deliver half its original brightness.

This is also the case with LCD TVs and does not only happen to Plasmas
smiley-cool.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Taking into account the general cheapness of the internal components used these days (capacitors and the like) id say the tv would fail electronically WELL before the screen did.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts