Used Technics SL1300

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
after having a bad experience with a very basic project debut deck 6 years ago curiosity has got the better of me again, just picked up a used SL1300 , I think this is a more domestic orientated version of the 1200, are these decent decks?

I paid 75 pounds and there are absloutly no marks or scratches on it for its age , is this a fair price? its been very well looked after, the motor runs silent and the 33rpm holds steady on the strobe, but cant get the 45 to stop steady, is this something that can be remedied easy, although I dont have any 45's i would like it sorted

next is the cartridge , It came with a sure V15 mk3 and I dont know how long the sylus has been on, the headshell looks like the original , I will be using it with my Yamaha AS500 and tannoy V4's, should I change the cardridge to AT95e

will try to upload a pic of it 8)

Not a bad price for the turntable.

The V15 was a class cartridge in it's day and although it ceased production in the late nineties you can still get replacement styli for them. However, I feel , you can get a near equal sound quality from the new Shure M97xe.

I am not sure of how the Audio Technica compares but would guess it is not quite in the same class.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I've got to ask...

What bad experience did you have with a Project (Debut?) deck.

They really don't get simpler. It doesn't even have an automatic speed control.

Johnno2

Feb 2, 2009
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
I've got to ask...

What bad experience did you have with a Project (Debut?) deck.

They really don't get simpler. It doesn't even have an automatic speed control.

the sound seemed lightweight ( om5 cardtridge I think) although the platter was reasonably heavy the base felt it could have been made better and the arm seemed cheap, plasticy and microphonic, resulting in a bland sound with some feedback rumble when the volume was cranked, probably baceause I put it too near the speakers ? , but it was cheap ! CD seemed like a breath of fresh air, but I do like vinyl sound , but it wasnt doing it for me

the technics although old, seems like a solid tank compared to that

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts