Used Roksan K2 CD Player

DylanFan

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Hello, I already have the Roksan K2 integrated amp which is about a year old, I've been offered a K2 CD player, it's around 3 years old & is is good condition apart from light scratches on the top which doesn’t show when in a rack - The guy selling needs some money sharpish & I can get it for around £400 - I've knocked him down because of the slight marks on the top. The learning remote is unused as he has the K2 Amp also - It sounds fine & has no problems loading & playing.

My question is am I better to wait until I can afford a new unit or is the unit worth £400/£420? I appreciate there is no warranty though in decades of using Hi-Fi I have had no failures & would be willing to risk buying used & a possible repair at Roksan. At the moment I'm using the DAC Magic & the Cambridge 650C for CD playing.

matthewpiano

I personally think £400 is what the K2 CD player is worth anyway - it is, IMO, way over-priced at RRP (I have one in its box at home). Why pay twice what you need to?

I'm not convinced it will be much of an upgrade over your Cambridge 650C to be honest (I've had one of those as well and thought it a very fine player).

One thing to watch out for is the display - mine needs repairing because it is very feint in places.

DylanFan

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for that, I've rang Roksan & they are happy to repair units well over 10 years old, & they don't feel it would require a service at that age - Looking on Ebay used K2's seem to be going for £500+ I've been able to have a listen & it seems smoother that the DAC Magic though I've not had the opportunity to have a prolonged listen when not stressed :) Would it be a worthwhile upgrade does anyone think?

Edit:

Crossposted with Matthew

DylanFan

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
After my last overly rambling post I bought the Kandy 2 CD yesterday thinking if I wasn't happy I could resell it: To me it's amazing & is way above the 650C or the DAC Magic, smooth, & difficult to evaluate as last night I was ending up thinking how good the music was & forgetting about sizing the unit up. One excellent CD player that sounds more like a turntable than I’ve ever heard in digital. My other half approves too which is saying something !

:dance:

DylanFan

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Once again thanks for replies:

I did have the Cambridge 650A & the improvement to the K2 Amp was a pretty big step up (huge actually) - I was wondering if likewise the K2 CD would be another step up or just sideways movement? I've been using the 650C via the DAC Magic which I felt was also an improvement from the 650C's output - My speakers are pretty new Tannoy DC6's From the replies so far it does seem the K2 CD isn't held in as high regard as the K2 amp though which probably answers my original question!

DylanFan

Jun 18, 2013
Visit site
Somehow strangely the silences are more silent if that makes sense? More rhythm to the music which keeps tracks bowling along simple acoustic tracks such as some Tracy Chapman sound much the same but more complex music is far more uncomplicated?, There is not much difference to bass maybe a little less than the DAC Magic or the 650 but probably more controlled? But I’m no bass freak & prefer stand mount speakers to floorstanders & the Tannoys are pulled well out from the wall.

I must say I do feel for those who review gear for a living as its so difficult to explain differences in sound. I suppose one thing I did notice on one of my favourite albums Neil Young's 'Greendale' the final track had the hairs on my neck standing up. There is more involvement in the music, as in the last post I found it difficult to think about evaluating the player as I was listening to the music? Its early days but it was already to me a great buy (If this all makes sense well done) My brother is calling in at the weekend I think & I'll be interested as to his opinions compared with his Cyrus gear.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts