Used amplifier required...suggestions please!

planetgaffnet

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
A few years back I put together a lively enough hi-fi of used components for use in our extension at home; it was a second system, so I set myself a modest budget of £100 a unit and came in under that, which pleased me no end.

Sadly this morning my amp - a very old Kenwood 3020SE that I picked up online for £60 - stuttered, buzzed a little and died. It fires up, but it's pretty much dead.

I have a memory like a sieve, so I'm looking for suggestions for a replacement. WHF only really carries new products, so I'd like some suggestions and in the spirit of the original project, I don't really want to pay more than £100/125. Colour is unimportant (though Mrs PlanetGaffnet has said make sure it's black). It just needs to be capable and a bit aggressive. :)

I'm using a Sony SACD spinner and there's an Onkyo DSA1 iPod dock plugged into it. One in a while I plug a Boss 8-track recorder into it when I'm songwriting. Speakers are a small pair of Gales (which I've never really liked, but they're small and unobtrusive).

So there you have it.

Any suggestions for a replacement?

Thanks

P

A

Anonymous

IMO one of the best amps you can buy for that money (or even if you can maybe look closer to the £150 mark) would be the NAD C320BEE or an Arcam Alpha 8

The NAD C320BEE was & still is a superb amp and if looked after will last for years. 50wpc and with plenty of guts to drive fairly difficult speakers and with a superb soundstage as well

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NAD-C320BEE-Stereo-Integrated-Amplifier-Silver-/300589507072?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_Amplifiers&hash=item45fc87e200

I'd be keeping my eye on that auction above very closely
smiley-cool.gif

planetgaffnet

Feb 24, 2008
Visit site
I used to own an Alpha 8 plus an 8P power amp about ten years ago; used to bi-amp into some B&Ws. It was a nice setup but in truth didn't work well for me. I'd be listening to something like Nine Inch Nails and it would just make everything a little too smooth for my ears!

P

A

Anonymous

NAD C320BEE then... No where near as mellow as the Arcam Alpha 8 but still a superb amp indeed

TRENDING THREADS