Use old all-in-one speakers for new AV set up

dlake0001

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I’m sorry if this is the most ridiculous question ever posted but I want to upgrade to a newer system but space and, more importantly, the wife are major factors in dictating what I can have.

I have an old Sony BDVE190 system (I know but it makes for a more than adequate sound in our small living room) and was wondering if I remove the plastic clips from the ends of the cables, could this systems speakers then be used to plug into the back of a new AV receiver? I don’t see why they couldn’t be unless the AV receiver would be way too powerful and instantly blow them. Also, is there a way to convert the bell wire end of the sub’s cable into the required sub plug or is this a case of definitely having to buy a new sub?

Finally, any recommendations on an AV receiver that would work with such a modest set of speakers? My intention is to watch 4K UHD discs on a new player but obviously with the current system being only blu-ray compatible I can’t do that.

Thanks in advance for any help/ advice.

Tinman1952

I’m sorry if this is the most ridiculous question ever posted but I want to upgrade to a newer system but space and, more importantly, the wife are major factors in dictating what I can have.

I have an old Sony BDVE190 system (I know but it makes for a more than adequate sound in our small living room) and was wondering if I remove the plastic clips from the ends of the cables, could this systems speakers then be used to plug into the back of a new AV receiver? I don’t see why they couldn’t be unless the AV receiver would be way too powerful and instantly blow them. Also, is there a way to convert the bell wire end of the sub’s cable into the required sub plug or is this a case of definitely having to buy a new sub?

Finally, any recommendations on an AV receiver that would work with such a modest set of speakers? My intention is to watch 4K UHD discs on a new player but obviously with the current system being only blu-ray compatible I can’t do that.

Most AV receivers will accept bare wire connection to their speaker terminals...so you would just need to strip off a little of the plastic wire coating to expose the copper. For the sub connection, again strip back to the wire and attach a banana plug...? I am assuming your sub is 'active' i.e. has its own internal amp. No idea what it will sound like but it's worth a try.

Reactions: dlake0001

dlake0001

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for your reply. No, the sub is passive, unfortunately. Found these to attach to the subs cable:

but if a receiver won’t power it I guess that’ll be on the shopping list too.

Reactions: Tinman1952

Tinman1952

Thanks for your reply. No, the sub is passive, unfortunately. Found these to attach to the subs cable:

but if a receiver won’t power it I guess that’ll be on the shopping list too.
Yes the sub output on a AV receiver is usually line level only. You could get a little class D mono amp to power the sub.... something like this?

Reactions: ultraminiature

Arron

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site

The angle you're coming from is understandable but will likely only lead to pain. Could you scavenge your Sony? Yes. Should you? No.

I assume the reason is money being tight? If so, here's an alternative plan:

Hit Ebay. The Sony is worth more if it's intact. Assuming you're in the UK, snipe some Mission M-Cubes. Make sure you get the whole set -- cubes, wall mounts, sub and special cable -- because they're designed to work together. If you're patient, you can get a complete set for less than £200. Which means if you sell the Sony and buy those, you might roughly break even.

Make sure it's the original M-Cubes as per the review, later models weren't as good. They're extremely dinky and WAG friendly so the missus should be fine with them. Great in a small room and work with any proper AV receiver.

Had a set for more than a decade hooked up to 3 different Yamahas over the years and they're absolute peaches.

Reactions: ultraminiature

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts