Use of tone controls

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I find that on most cds it is best to use the tone controls and turn the treble down and the bass up, particularly with classical music. I find that this brings more power to the music which makes it more emotionally engaging. With very few CDs such as Jack Johnson the bass can become overpowering and is best turned down. I do all of my listening at relatively low volume levels.

Should I be doing something to address this imbalance in my system so I can avoid the use of tone controls? Or am I being too bass hungry? Could a change of cabling help me?

Marantz PM7001 KI

Marantz CD6002

Monitor Audio GS10

Alphason AG50 speaker stands

Ecosse baton interconnect

QED silver anniversary bi-wire

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
You're simply compensating for a few things with your use of tone controls - small speakers don't produce huge bass, bass tends to disappear at lower volume levels with certain systems, and any silver cabling you have, which is one thing you could change, easily.

One of the problematic effects of silver is that it artificially pushes high frequencies forward, thinning out the mid and robbing the bass. Pure copper cabling presents a far more natural balance.

Another option of course is a pair of floorstanding speakers which give you greater bass weight and depth - but then, of course, you'd still have that pesky silver screwing things up!!

A

Anonymous

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using the tone controls. I sometimes us mine although they can be shut out on my amp.

I'd agree that floorstanding speakers will make a difference. I don't have any problems with bass other than too much on some modern stuff. I also listen and lowish volumes. Even then I sometimes have to turn the bass down a bit.

A

Anonymous

Unfortunately floorstanding speakers are not an option because my wife does not like the look of them.

If my silver cables could be contributing to the problem can anyone recommend an alternative?

I didn't bother auditioning the cable, I imagined if I bought a decent 5star rated cable it would do the job.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Chord Carnival Silverscreen IMO

I repleced my QED Silver Anniversary biwire with it and the change was noticable! Better bass, smoother midrange and the treble has calmed down which is a plus as some music through my RS6's was a bit bright (to be honest though on the rare occasion)

daveh75

d_a_n1979:Chord Carnival Silverscreen IMO I repleced my QED Silver Anniversary biwire with it and the change was noticable! Better bass, smoother midrange and the treble has calmed down which is a plus as some music through my RS6's was a bit bright (to be honest though on the rare occasion) totally agree ditch the qed silver and go for the chord,

A

Anonymous

Ok thanks for the suggestions I will try out some of the Chord. The only problem is that they dont do it in biwire and I have lost the contacts that join the speaker terminals. Perhaps I will have to get some jumper cables aswell.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts