USB only DAC - dedicated PC required?

Jame5

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I am using a USB only DAC, which takes its power supply through the USB lead. Am I stuck needing physical USB connection between PC and DAC, or is there an airport express-like product with USB connectivity?

If you have found a solution to this issue, I'd be very grateful to hear it. :?

James

Jame5

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
I want my laptop to be mobile whilst I'm listening to music, so either I find a wireless solution (without loss of sound quality) or buy a dedicated PC for hi fi use.

Ajani

Apr 9, 2008
Visit site
Jame5 said:
I am using a USB only DAC, which takes its power supply through the USB lead. Am I stuck needing physical USB connection between PC and DAC, or is there an airport express-like product with USB connectivity?

If you have found a solution to this issue, I'd be very grateful to hear it. :?

James

If I'm not mistaken, someone hacked the Squeezebox Touch to do just that: output a signal through its USB port. Other than that option, I believe you'd be stuck with using a PC directy connected to your DAC.

James, regret I cannot help with your query but would value your views on the HRT as I'm contemplating their microStreamer. It seems to do both headphones and line out (unlike the more costly Dragonfly) and is significantly cheaper than the new Meridian (though this does 192).

Jame5

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
Nopiano, all I can tell you is that I'm delighted with the HRT's sound quality and feel that it was very good value for money. However, I've no idea how the microstreamer's sound compares to it, other than what I have read on here. Good luck!

Jame5 said:
Nopiano, all I can tell you is that I'm delighted with the HRT's sound quality and feel that it was very good value for money. However, I've no idea how the microstreamer's sound compares to it, other than what I have read on here. Good luck!

Thanks a lot. I've now realised the Dragonfly can be used as a fixed line level output too, though it has just one socket, unlike the HRT microStreamer's two. Interesting that they are both from the USA!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts