USB cable quality matters?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Now that we are on the topic of computer audio, DACs and cables - do you use anything other than standard USB cable with your DAC?

Computer Audiophile reviewed Kimber USB cable (£40 for 1m here in Uk?) and recommends it for better sound quality. Is it worth it for use with CA DacMagic?

EDITED BY MODS for house rules violation

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I use a 5m USB cable bought from John Lewis that was reduced to £7.85 from £20 (If I remember correctly.)

I would be interested if anyone here has found any audible differences between different USB cables. I have not really explored this myself.

Belkin Pro series 2.0 cable is reasonably priced (if you avoid Currys Digital).

(Comparative USB cable demos are not something any hifi or computer outlet of my experience are going to do.)

To my thinking zeros and ones are not affected by USB cable so long as you get it from a reputable brand and don't use lengths over 5 metres (USB.org standards).

The USB cables between my backup drives and my computers always seem to manage to get tens (or hundreds) of Gigabytes of data from A to B without errors and they are not 'audiophile grade'.

Most USB Dacs only use USB 1.1 anyway so USB 2.0 rated cables are probably overkill.

A

Anonymous

I hoped this audiophile nonsense wouldn't exist now that computers are the source.

I believe the cable just needs to meet USB specification. Amusingly some of the "boutique" ones do not have the necessary logo on them thoough!

A

Anonymous

I also thought it was 0s and 1s... but then you have somewhat credible sources saying otherwise...

A

Anonymous

I've always used the free cables in the box for my 1TB harddrives and haven't experienced problems. The same with printers, cameras, etc...

A

Anonymous

Eddie Pound:I've always used the free cables in the box for my 1TB harddrives and haven't experienced problems. The same with printers, cameras, etc...

True, but how much error correction is required to get "no errors" in your file copy?
The file is checked after it arrives with a checksum to ensure its correct.

Streaming audio to a DAC isnt going to have this check since the OS isnt copying a file.

This might be significant because I do recall reading that when REGA designed the Apollo CD they check to see how much oversampling they need before playing a disc (oversampling is a form of error correction). The less oversampling, the less the digital signal is "normalised" and hence a purer sound is produced - That's the theory anyway!

Still, not convinced if it'd improve the quality but for sure its not the same as copying data to an external drive....

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I will wait until someone (independent of cable companies preferably) conducts tests comparing data from different USB cables directly to the bit-stream coming from the HD.

Should be easy enough.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
david-attenborough.jpg

And so....

here...

is born....

a whole new species...

of cable thread...

a.g.

May 30, 2008
Visit site
This opens the floodgates to a while host of questions!

Is it better to use an external hub?
If so should it be powered or passive?
Does cable length make a difference?

Maybe the WHF crew can investigate. Let's see a group test of USB cables!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
a.g.:This opens the floodgates to a while host of questions!

Is it better to use an external hub?
If so should it be powered or passive?
Does cable length make a difference?

Maybe the WHF crew can investigate. Let's see a group test of USB cables!

WHF have just had a whole weekend demonstrating some outrageously good/expensive active system including a demonstration using a laptop as a source.

Was USB used? Which cable?

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:

david-attenborough.jpg

And so....

here...

is born....

a whole new species...

of cable thread...

Evolution Evolution Evolution...

Happy (belated) birthday Charles D.!

A

Anonymous

How many errors is a a meter of cable going to introduce very bad cable if its more than 0.

Messiah

chebby:

WHF have just had a whole weekend demonstrating some outrageously good/expensive active system including a demonstration using a laptop as a source.

Was USB used? Which cable?

USB was not used. It looked liked the £35 True Colours optical lead connected from the 3.5 jack (using an adapter) into the Bryston DAC.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts