USB 2.0 Output and MQA

daveyjay

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Hello all,

Does anyone have any recommendations for a streamer that can handle MQA and has a USB-B (2.0) output? I've got an Audiolab 8300cdq and the only way to feed it MQA is via its USB input. So far, the only thing I can find that has a real world (?) price tag is the Bluesound N130. I've already got a Node 2 (original), so not really keen to spend 500 quid upgrading.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, I would not bother with MQA. I have a Node2 and Soncoz DAC which handles MQA, I struggled to hear any difference. Tidal MQA level is £20 pm.

daveyjay

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
To be honest, I would not bother with MQA. I have a Node2 and Soncoz DAC which handles MQA, I struggled to hear any difference. Tidal MQA level is £20 pm.
Hello Big H,
I’ve been with Tidal for a while and share the cost with two other people, so not too pricey. Would like to at least trial the MQA through my Audiolab.
Thanks for response.

Vincent Kars

streamer that can handle MQA and has a USB-B (2.0) output?
USB audio over a USB-B output? I wonder if this exist as the streamer most be a USB host and I haven't seen a host with USB-B.

I also wonder why you need a MQA enabled streamer. As far as I could judge the Audiolab 8300cdq is a MQA renderer.

As this is probably about Tidal, can't you run the app on a phone and use the USB out of the phone to feed the Audiolab 8300cdq?

daveyjay

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
USB audio over a USB-B output? I wonder if this exist as the streamer most be a USB host and I haven't seen a host with USB-B.

I also wonder why you need a MQA enabled streamer. As far as I could judge the Audiolab 8300cdq is a MQA renderer.

As this is probably about Tidal, can't you run the app on a phone and use the USB out of the phone to feed the Audiolab 8300cdq?
Hello Vincent,
Well, I was wondering whether or not I could just plug an iPhone/laptop straight into the USB port on the Audiolab. You may have answered my question.
Would the iPhone output MQA, then?

daveyjay

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
It will output USB audio of course.
If it doesn't alter bit 1 to 16 (that is where the MQA watermark resides) the DAC will recognize it and starts doing the MQA thing (minimum phase filters and oversampling).
Give it a shot anyway.
I’ll give it go and report back in the next couple of days. Thanks Vincent.

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
Hello Vincent,
Well, I was wondering whether or not I could just plug an iPhone/laptop straight into the USB port on the Audiolab. You may have answered my question.
Would the iPhone output MQA, then?

yes you just have to go in the settings to enable this. Been a while since I used tidal. iPad, desktop app on computer certainly does. The computer deals with first unfold.

daveyjay

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Finally got round to connecting a laptop to the Audiolab via USB B 2.0. I had to download some drivers onto the laptop before connecting.
So, I can play Tidal MQA, via the Tidal app, through the Audiolab 8300cdq and then on to my Acoustic Energy AE1s. The Audiolab displays the bitrate and 'MQA'
I'm assuming that, with a lightning to USB B cable (don't have one at to moment), I'll be able to connect my iPhone in the same way as I have the laptop, which will be a more convenient set up.
As for the difference in sound quality - I'm not going to comment just yet 🙂 I've listened to a few Beatles albums in MQA and I do think that I can hear a little more detail.
Re Qobuz vs Tidal - I'd say Qobuz is less 'fatiguing' with Tidal being a little 'brighter' and, seemingly, more revealing, IMHO.

Friesiansam

Missed this thread before.

All you need to worry about with the USB interface and cable, is that it is USB 2.0 or later. Whether the output socket is type A or type B is irrelevant, they differ only in shape and, that does not affect the performance in any way.

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
Missed this thread before.

All you need to worry about with the USB interface and cable, is that it is USB 2.0 or later. Whether the output socket is type A or type B is irrelevant, they differ only in shape and, that does not affect the performance in any way.

It might affect the performance if you can't plug an A into a B socket!
(I know they usually have one of either at each end but there are those ones which dont)

enthusiast_cityzen

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Hi. You can use a phone or tablet to stream MQA, or any other quality, so the audiolab decode the files and not the phone/tablet. You need an OTG cable between your device and the audiolab/ usb B - usb A father that comes out from audiolab.
Because of the OTG cable the audio is not decoded by tge mobile device and it*s send like it is to be decoded by the next device in chain.

Vincent Kars

Because of the OTG cable the audio is not decoded by tge mobile device and it*s send like it is to be decoded by the next device in chain.
No, it works different.
Initially Android USB supported Accessory mode only. From Android 6 on, USB Host mode is supported as well. This makes a Android device like a mobile act in the same way as a PC. You need this mode to connect a DAC.

enthusiast_cityzen

Jul 23, 2021
Visit site
Yes, you are right. The phone should work as a PC in that mode.
I have the below options for USB connection, but they are only available under the Developer Options.
If I'm not mistaken, when I used the ifi zen Dac with the Android phone, the color of the dac led was changing based on the file format (flac, dsd).

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2023-03-31 at 17.08.02.jpg
    WhatsApp Image 2023-03-31 at 17.08.02.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 5

daveyjay

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Haven't gotten around to trying my iPhone as yet - Haven't had any spare time and don't have the correct cable. But, as mentioned, all is well (regarding MQA playback) with a laptop plugged into the Audiolab.

mrob

Mar 7, 2023
Visit site
I'm late to this discussion, but be aware there is a very annoying bug on the bluesound Node N130 when output to USB. You need to physically reboot (unplug/plug) the device every two days or so.
BS is aware and should be working on a new firmware, but they do look clueless for now.
I can't comment on sound quality because the only MQA device I have is the bluesound, and the DAC is so-so. The sound is way better if I output to my other DAC (smsl d300) via coax/digital.
As such, I use the N130 as a streamer only, with coax out, the bug is not present.
Cheers!

djh1697

Nov 27, 2008
Visit site
Now that MQA has gone the same way Bob Stuart went, is there a need to bother with it? I wonder if anyone will buy it and rescue it, I somewhat doubt it. It will remain a legacy product, with no updates, I guess a little like the 8 track cartridge?

Reactions: Al ears

daveyjay

Dec 2, 2008
Visit site
Now that MQA has gone the same way Bob Stuart went, is there a need to bother with it? I wonder if anyone will buy it and rescue it, I somewhat doubt it. It will remain a legacy product, with no updates, I guess a little like the 8 track cartridge?
Good job I didn't buy the Audiolab just for the MQA handling 🙂 It was a bonus rather than a necessity. Pity, though.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts