Upscaling question

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
Hello. I'm new to these forums and just about to take the leap into High Definition, hoping to purchase the Panasonic 42PX85B plasma if I can create enough space for it in the room.

I would be interested to know how the upscaling of standard def pictures works on this machine. Obviously the TV upscales a standard feed to fit its 1080 resolution, but if I was to record that feed onto a hard drive that outputs a 1080P upscaled picture, would I get a better image?

Also does a SkyHD box have the option to upscale to 1080P.

Many Thanks

A

Anonymous

im pretty sure the sky HD box does a little "upscaling" but "upscaling" can never be as good as a natural 1080p image ofcourse ^_^

and you say the TH42PX85B? im not sure if this is a model i thought only TH42PX80B and TH42PZ85B

tvmog

Apr 1, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="matthew s"]im pretty sure the sky HD box does a little "upscaling" but "upscaling" can never be as good as a natural 1080p image ofcourse ^_^ and you say the TH42PX85B? im not sure if this is a model i thought only TH42PX80B and TH42PZ85B[/quote]

Slight typo error - did mean the TH42PZ85B. Thanks

FuzzyinLondon

Dec 5, 2007
Visit site
The Sky HD box will only scale up to 1080i or 720p. This is then re-scaled by the TV to fit its native resolution. The Sky HD box will save HD broadcasts in HD but the resolution will not be maintained if you record to any other hard drive or DVD recorder. There's real way around it due to all the copy protection involved with HD content.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="tvmog"]I would be interested to know how the upscaling of standard def pictures works on this machine. Obviously the TV upscales a standard feed to fit its 1080 resolution, but if I was to record that feed onto a hard drive that outputs a 1080P upscaled picture, would I get a better image?

[/quote]

Depends if your recorders upscaling chips are better then the TVs upscaling chips. The Panny upscaling of SD material is good, which is why it's SD picture looks good compared to other TVs. (Just got my 37PX80 and the freeview pictures are great)

Looking at the SKY+ forums, it doesnt seem to be a good upsaler of SD material. By all accounts the V+ box, however, is. (Let you know more next week when mine is installed)

TRENDING THREADS