Upgrading into vintage - Pioneer A-91D - Worth buying?

Amiko03

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Dear all,

I'm a bit on a newbie to the whole hifi scene, so just giving a small warning in advance
wink.gif
. Currently I have the following system:

TT: Rega RP-3, Elys 2 Cartridge

Amp: Cambridge Audio 540A

Phono Stage: Pro-Ject Phono Box II

Speakers: Monitor Audio BX-5

I have found the opportunity to buy the Pioneer A-91D for approx. 800 USD, and as I have not been able to find a whole lot of reviews on the internet about this mean-looking machine, I was wondering if anybody has experience or would recommend going for this amp as an upgrade to my existing CA 540A?

Thanks for any advice and best regards,

Amiko03

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
gasolin said:
It's a very beautiful amplifier with lots of power, big brother of this amp http://www.thevintageknob.org/pioneer-A-71.html

Yeh it does look like a great machine, however the question is the following. I need to uprade my amplifier anyway, so either I could buy a new amp (in the range of 1000-1500 USD, or I could get this one second hand, for less and upgrade other parts (like the cartrdige). So is the pioneer worth it?

Tajak

Jan 4, 2014
Visit site
I bought an A 91-D more than 1 year ago and I am happy to recommend it. If you have a rare chance to get this both beauty (for the look) and beast (for the power), just go for it.

Heavy construction, high quality components and "made in Japan". It weight about 30 kg and don't ask me how much energy it consumes - a lot! :)

In return for it you get crystal clear sound, little bit warm, very opened and detailed - generally, very pleasant to listen to it. Just give it a try, if you don't like it, you would sell it real fast...

:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts