Next piece of equipment worth upgrading?

Amiko03

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey everybody,

So I'm the new proud owner of a Rega RP-3 with the Elys 2 cartridge on it. That just about killed my savings for the last 1-2 months, so I'm beginnging to save up for the next round of upgrades to my system. In terms of urgency / most improved quality of sound, what would you reckon would be the most worthwile upgrade for the moment? My current set up is the following:

TT: Rega RP-3, Elys 2 Cartridge

Amp: Cambridge Audio 540A

Phono Stage: Pro-Ject Phono Box II

Speakers: Monitor Audio BX-5

In a best case scenario, I was thinking to first replace the Phono Box II to maybe a Tube Box S or SE (depending on reviews I read, and whether the SE is worth the extra buck). As for the amp, I'm currently looking to try out a Roksan Kandy K2 integrated amp. Haven't had the pleasure of hearing it yet, but I'm hoping to set up a test run with my local dealer sometime soon.

Any tips on whether these would be worthwile upgrades? And in which order should the upgrade happen, if money is an issue? Or if anyone has other upgrade ideas I'd be very happy to hear them!

Thanks a lot and best regards,

SpursGator

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
I would say the amp. I think the Kandy K2 would be an upgrade, but you might want to reach a bit farther either by going used or saving a bit longer. The Caspian would be better if you like Roksan. You could probably get into used McIntosh / Electrocomponiet / Sugden / Accuphase territory if you were patient and saved a little past the K2 level.

You can do better than the BX-5s too but it's going to cost a lot of money, and will leave you wanting a new amp.

SpursGator

Jan 12, 2012
Visit site
I would say the amp. I think the Kandy K2 would be an upgrade, but you might want to reach a bit farther either by going used or saving a bit longer. The Caspian would be better if you like Roksan. You could probably get into used McIntosh / Electrocomponiet / Sugden / Accuphase territory if you were patient and saved a little past the K2 level.

You can do better than the BX-5s too but it's going to cost a lot of money, and will leave you wanting a new amp.

Amiko03

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
mp3rubbishgod said:
quick question what do those monitor audios sound like with that setup?

iaqm looking to upgrade my speakers at the moment

regards

Paul

I think for the price I paid I'm extremely happy with the BX5's, they're really great for what they are. I listened to quite a few other floorstanders and I didn't get the kind of warmth and clarity that the Monitor's produced. If you can save up, I'd recommend the RX-6, but it was too pricey for me at the time.

I would agree that the amp is the item you should be upgrading, especially if you are happy with your speakers.

Forget the phono amp, you can sell on the one you have, as the one in the Roksan amp is better than what you currently own.

I would not concern yourself with phono amps unless you intend upgrading your cartridge to a moving-coil variety.

Amiko03

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Alears said:
I would agree that the amp is the item you should be upgrading, especially if you are happy with your speakers.

Forget the phono amp, you can sell on the one you have, as the one in the Roksan amp is better than what you currently own.

I would not concern yourself with phono amps unless you intend upgrading your cartridge to a moving-coil variety.

Much appreciated comment :) Thanks! Do you have any suggestions as to which amp to go for besides the Roksan?

Amiko03 said:
Alears said:

That would very much depend on your budget.

Personally I don't think you will find an amp with a better phono stage than the Roksan for the same money.

You should also factor in an upgrade to your cartridge. Never did like the cheaper Rega's. :)

Much appreciated comment :) Thanks! Do you have any suggestions as to which amp to go for besides the Roksan?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts