Upgrading a Yamaha RX-A2010 to a RX-A3010... yay or nay??

Oliverswing77

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone,

I'm currently using a Yamaha RX-A2010 to power a 5.1 setup which consists of a pair of Focal 816W SE (fronts), the CC800W SE as well and at the back the 806V. Although the RX-A2010 is pretty good I find it a notch or two more laidback than ideal, more apparently so when playing music in stereo modes, to a point that I have the treble at +4.5 and with some material I still don't find the sound as open, attacking and fast as I'd like. The 816W SE in particular are definitely not as clinical and trebly as I thought they were. Certainly nowhere near speakers like the Monitor Audio, more precisely the BX range which I had before. Another thing that would be useful is a receiver with a superior subwoofer eq which would save me from having to buy a separate sub eq to do the job. I had a Marantz SR7005 for a brief moment which was a terrible mismatch for my speakers as it was way too warm and laidback, much more so than the Yamaha, but it did a tremendous job with the sub equalization. It really heightened the sub output while removing the very unwanted boominess.

Having said that, I have the opportunity of getting a RX-A3010 for an extra £300 approx. on the top of what I'd be getting for the 2010. I know that there are some members here in the forum here who had or still have both units and I was wondering if you think it would make a worthwhile difference taking into account the points I mentioned above or if I should look at other brands with a different signature sound, like the Pioneer for example. In that case I would probably go for the LX85 or something along those lines>

Thanks in advance and have a nice weekend :cheers:

Oliverswing77

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I thought of that and was just wondering how good is the sub eq on the LX85 and how good is it with music? Another thing I was thinking was buying an integrated amp, more precisely the Roksan Kandy K2, and use it to power the front speakers in both stereo and surround modes as well as being able to use it separately and on its own when needed. My only doubt (more of a concern tbh) is whether the Roksan would provide a real sonic difference with 5.1 material when used as a power amp through the pre outs of my receiver or not so much. Since I got the Yamaha I started listening to my music in 5.1 as the receiver 9 ch stereo mode does a great job in balancing the sound output throughout the 5 speakers which gives the impression that only the front speakers are playing while opening up the sound. But that's a bad sign seeing that before I was able to enjoy music in 2 ch direct mode with my first reveiver, the Denon AVR 1911, without missing more forwardness or attack while with the Yamaha I don't seem to enjoy the 2 ch modes as much. I find the sound too laidback for my liking.

But I do think the LX85 option would more likely tackle the issues I'm having assuming that it's as good as people say.

Thanks for your contribute so far :)

Rob.S.Esquire

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
I switched from the Denon 1911 to the Yamaha RX-A1020 and I also found that the Yamaha has a more laid back and less attacking signature. Although I did not demo the 1010 (or 2010 for that matter) my understanding from reviews is that the new XX20 range has a more forward sound that the models they replace. However the Denon was still more aggressive than my new amp and I tried a few things to compensate.

I have Tannoy Mercurcy V4 fronts, V1 rears and VC centre which are a nice tonaly balanced set of budget speakers. On the Denon I found stero music could be wearing to listen to and had the fronts pretty much square to reduce the treble in my sweet spot. When I switched to the Yamaha I toed in the fronts so they were point pretty much at the sweet spot which improved the forwardness but I lost some of the depth of the soundstage. Now I have them about 2/3rds of the way toed in (if facing staight out from the wall is the starting positoon and the fronts facing the listening position is all the way)

I always use the pure direct option for music and just stick with stereo as I find the sound is a little sharper and punchier. This is not really an option if you rely on the amp for the sub output though.

I am not sure you would get much of a change between the 2010 and 3010, but maybe try demoing the 2020?

Oliverswing77

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
_stranger said:
Nay ..

If you want to change AVR's. NAD and Arcam will sound nice with those Focal as well.

I thought of those 2 but the Arcam are very unreliable and the NAD are above my budget. I'm planning to get a new receiver but it's gotta be second hand so I can get the best for my £900 budget. Unfortunately the NADs are hard to come by in the second hand market otherwise I wouldn't mind trying one.

Oliverswing77

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
_stranger said:
Nay ..

If you want to change AVR's. NAD and Arcam will sound nice with those Focal as well.

I thought of those 2 but the Arcam are very unreliable and the NAD are above my budget. I'm planning to get a new receiver but it's gotta be second hand so I can get the best for my £900 budget. Unfortunately the NADs are hard to come by in the second hand market otherwise I wouldn't mind trying one.

Oliverswing77

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
_stranger said:
Nay ..

Boca

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Nay, as well.... Bigboss called it....

Try The Pioneer it is more forward on the top end but the bass is pretty tight also.

I do find the room eq isnt the best though. to my ears Audyssey is better less boom (Pioneer doesn't eq below 63 or 65 hz )

As always try before you buy. ( make sure you try on the same speakers too... not another brand as you will get different results )

Other option is change the speakers...It's sometimes hard to swallow but you may not like them. trust me i know....

Question when you purchased them what equipement did they audition them with ?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts