Upgrades? Would they be worth it?

johnbwfc

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
I have the following set up at the moment

CD Player - Marantz CD6002

Amplifier - Marantz PM6002 both about 2 years old and my first foray into separates after having all in one systems previously.

Speakers - Monitor Audio RX1, recently purchased. I demo'd these with my current kit against B&W685 and a couple of others and found them to be more suited to my taste. They are on Soundstyle Z2 stands.

Cables: Speaker - QED XT evolution, Interconnect - QED Reference Audio Evolution.

At the moment I am pretty happy with the sound across a wide range of music but was wondering whether I am "missing out" on getting the best from my cds. If I was to change to, for instance, a Rega Apollo, would I hear much difference? Also if I was to look at changing anything what should I change first, the CD player or the Amp. I would like to keep the speakers as they fit into my room nicely and as I have said I like the sound they put out. I don't really have a budget in mind and would be a bit wary of going on the second hand route.

T

the record spot

A better amp in the first instance IMO. This would then give better control to the speakers and possibly - depending on your selection - do more with the signal coming from the CDP than the budget Marantz amp can do. The Mark 2 Leema Pulse would be a serious upgrade (given it's £1300 amp really) and you'd notice a big improvement I think. Depends on how well that amp works with the speakers, but I'm assuming you'd be onto a winner - very versatile amp, great build, cool design and a few might be knocking around on ex-dem at £800 or so. Not sure if the Home Cinema Centre in Edinburgh still have the one I tried (£699). If so, that's probably the cheapest one new and it's in near mint nick.

johnbwfc

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for that. I will keep an eye out for any bargains. I have seen one for £675 but am not sure whether it is a mark 2. I am not really in any rush, so will bide my time.

A

Anonymous

You see I think you have a nicely balanced system so wouldn't change anything.

The problem you have is that if you change the amp, then to get full benefit of that you'll need better speakers, followed by a better CD player and so the slippery upgrade spiral begins
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts