Upgraded to Chord carnival Sliverscreen

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I have been pondering wether to upgrade the speaker cable from the supplied Atlas element 2.0 that came with the Arcam Solo Mini. I knew that the system sounded good but always thought there was something more that could come out of it. The sound seemed a bit bass heavy with a little lacking in the midrange.

So I upgraded to the Chord Carnival Silverscreen and fitted the cables last night. An immediate difference, they opened up the music greatly. The bass was reduced but is more refined and punchier rather than a thuddy bass. The mid range was the best improvement which is more detailed and you can hear things in songs that I noticed before but didn't really hear. With the mid range improvement the treble also improved, more crisp.

What I noticed along with the mid range was on some songs which are bass heavy (I have the Arcam Muso speakers so not designed for the big low bass)) the old cable couldn't handle it and distoreted the bass sound, with the Chord cable the lower bass lines were handled and brought the very low bass sound within the limits of the speakers.

Overall a happy bunny, the new level of clarity and detail has really improved the system. I also upgraded my 3.5mm to rca cable from a cheap cable (attached to an apple mac book to stream music from Spotify) that I had from an old video camera to the Chord ichord. Not had a chance to test this out but if it is as much as an improvement as the speaker cable then happy days.

Thanks.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I read threads like this every so often and it still amazes me that the sceptics truly believe theres no difference between cables

I can only imagine their hearing is shot to pieces (Or they have really badly set up systems)

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
aliEnRIK:
I read threads like this every so often and it still amazes me that the sceptics truly believe theres no difference between cables

I can only imagine their hearing is shot to pieces (Or they have really badly set up systems)

Without wishing to start the whole thing off again, I can only agree with you..................

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK:

My thoughts exactly. Still, if one is willing to at least try different cables then the conclusions must always be respected. I've always noticed differences in cables!

A

Anonymous

i think they probably do sound slightly different , people go overboard though , describing huge differences , that you wouldnt get without changing speakers never mind cables , then others rightly figure such differences are simply not possible , and decide there are no differences ...
emotion-15.gif

i guess what im saying is .. if people kept it real when describing the very subtle differences they found , it would seem more plausible .. no ??

A

Anonymous

I know what you mean, max. When I listen to music on my system I get very involved with it and listen very closely. When I make a small change I hear it. I toed in my speakers a tiny amount last night and it made a particular album sound great. A cable change can do the same and if it 'sorts out' a particular (small) element of the music then it's easy to carried away when describing differences. I guess that if a cable change achieves what you aim for then you'll sing it's merits.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:

i think they probably do sound slightly different , people go overboard though , describing huge differences , that you wouldnt get without changing speakers never mind cables , then others rightly figure such differences are simply not possible , and decide there are no differences ...
emotion-15.gif

i guess what im saying is .. if people kept it real when describing the very subtle differences they found , it would seem more plausible .. no ??

I think the point is that for some, the differences are far from subtle. I try to avoid over-exaggeration & hyperbole myself, but the recent changes to my system really are a big leap forward. I can't say how much is due to the P85 and how much to the Titans, but it really is like listening to a different system. I kid you not. Even The Wife has commented on it..... Now that's amazing!

emotion-2.gif

I've not raved about the Russ Andrews Powerkord-8 I fitted to my sub because the improvements are small. Worthwhile certainly, but not biblical. The changes I deem are worth shouting about will get shouted about!

A

Anonymous

aye bc , amp changes obviously do make a difference , i know that from experience too , some peoples descriptions of the changes cables make go a bit too far imo though , not saying there are no differences , i accept that there are in many cases , but i doubt they are as big as some say
emotion-15.gif

A

Anonymous

igglebert:I know what you mean, max. When I listen to music on my system I get very involved with it and listen very closely. When I make a small change I hear it. I toed in my speakers a tiny amount last night and it made a particular album sound great. A cable change can do the same and if it 'sorts out' a particular (small) element of the music then it's easy to carried away when describing differences. I guess that if a cable change achieves what you aim for then you'll sing it's merits.
emotion-21.gif
, im learning fast that positioning can make a very big difference to sound , i never would have thought so , havnt really compared any cables yet , but im sure ill get around to that , its all very enjoyable too this hifi fine tuning ..

T

the record spot

What amazes me more is that people will lash the cash on branded cables on the back of "night and day" and other hyperbole ridden quotes, when looking up a bit on what's involved and the options that exist can reap as great rewards and for significantly less of an outlay. What is claimed v. what is delivered is open to question and what amazes me is more people aren't prepared to concede that.

Alienrik, welcome to pop up and hear my system any time you like mate. If you reckon it sounds rubbish, you'll be the first. So I guess my hearing's probably alright and I reckon my system's matched pretty well.

As for biggest differences, moving speakers, finding the best recordings and investing in the right components made a significantly greater performance than any cable I ever bought in the last 20 years ever did. Head and shoulders kind of difference in fact!

EDIT: to the OP, I should add, by the bye, that I'm delighted you're getting what you want out your kit, my view's only ever been built up using my own experiences and various others "out there".

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
aliEnRIK:

So whereabouts you live spot?

Im always open to have a listen to decent hifi systems so long as its nearby

Can I come too..... I'll bring nibbles.
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Hi all,

I have been reading this forum for a while now before my purchase of my hi-fi (only a simple all in one, nothing like the kind of kit you guys have on here) and reading all the cable subject posts.

I was a little mythed and wasn't too convinced that speaker cables etc could make a difference. So I took a little plunge and a small outlay compared to the cost of the system to see whats what. I didn't spend a fortune just enough to warrant the cost against the system cost. I could have completly overspent on speaker cable and wouldn't have got the benefit of speaker cable with the speakers that I have.

If someone does spend too much on cables then I guess they have to warrant in their mind that their is more of a massive difference than there is. There many be a difference, hopefully a positive one which the user can justify the cost against.

As I bought a package system with all cables supplied in the box the cost limits on the supplied cables will have a limit to keep the costs down by the manufacturer. The supplied out the box speaker cables from Atlas I knew were basic so I thought an upgrade wouldn't hurt.

As record spot said, I am delighted that I'm getting what I want out of my kit and that's all that matters.

For all the non-believers of cables then as you may have much more expensive systems and speakers than mine I guess you will have some non-basic cables to go with them which would bring almost the best out of your speakers. I tried the upgrade route and it worked for my system and more importantly for me. Sometimes cable changes either more or less expensive can make a things sound better or worse.

My wife said she can't hear the difference but then she doesn't listen to the music like I do then again I don't notice when she wears new shoes!!!

Anyway, I"m of to enjoy some to enjoy some music. Maybe from Spotify and using my new Chord Ichord cable (from laptop to hi-fi) of which I'm also happy with the overall improvement in sound quality.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
digitaldelrick:

My wife said she can't hear the difference but then she doesn't listen to the music like I do then again I don't notice when she wears new shoes!!!

You dont want to be doing that too often though
emotion-4.gif

T

the record spot

aliEnRIK:

So whereabouts you live spot?

Im always open to have a listen to decent hifi systems so long as its nearby

p
Big Chris:

Can I come too..... I'll bring nibbles.
emotion-1.gif

You're welcome chaps - point yourselves towards Edinburgh and we're just off the A1! Give me enough notice and I can arrange for Mrs. R_S and twins to be out (given my nick on here, would that make them minidiscs...?).

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
igglebert:I know what you mean, max. When I listen to music on my system I get very involved with it and listen very closely. When I make a small change I hear it. I toed in my speakers a tiny amount last night and it made a particular album sound great. A cable change can do the same and if it 'sorts out' a particular (small) element of the music then it's easy to carried away when describing differences. I guess that if a cable change achieves what you aim for then you'll sing it's merits.

Great point, I'd never thought of it like that. I just started using some biwire jumpers instead of the brass bars, and I was astounded. After reading your post I tried to look at it more objectively, and I decided the actual difference isn't so great, but it just brought that extra level of openness, detail and balance that I was looking for, so the way it made me feel about my system was night and day, and I wouldn't go back.

Most of all, I'm happy to hear that the OP's change sorted things out and facilitated greater enjoyment of the system and music.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts