Upgraded subwoofer cable and now i have humming in the subbing and things!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Afternoon all,

got home today to see that my signature sub cable had been delivered! All very excitiung stuff
emotion-15.gif

But, i taken off my skinny QED cable and plugged in the signature cable and its now humming like a goodun! I have unplugged everything apart from the sub and the Onk, but still it is humming. I have tried it again with the skinny onen and its not humming......

I'm going to try the auto set up just to see if that makes a difference but to be honest more audible humming was the very last thing i ecpected form this cable....

Will report back!

scene

Well, given that the Signature is supposed to be really well shielded (so no mains hum), this leaves two possibilities:[*]The cable / shielding was damaged - was this a new cable and the packaging OK?[*]The cable is so good its transmitting mains hum from some other part of your set up (TV / Amp)Turn off everything but the amp, source and speakers - including that Xbox and V+ box - and do you still get the hum...

A

Anonymous

Yeah done that, turned everything off apart from the av amp and sub. even tried the sub on a different plug (on the same gang on the wall mind you) still humming.........

It is a new cable and seems in good order

A

Anonymous

I have solved it, although im still not sure if its a cable issue. I turned everything off (from the mains) apart from the sub itself and the humm was still there. I then removed the cable from the amp itself and still the hum was there. So it was purely plugged into the wall and the sub cable was attached to it.

I then removed the sub cable which of course stopped the humming. When i put the cable back on it would seem that if i push it all the way on, so that the gold ring of teh connection is touching the main body of the sub, i.e. pushed right the way in then it hums. If i pull it out a fraction then the humming stops.

I will now test it with a blu ray and see if this adjustment affects the performance.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Gander:
I have solved it, although im still not sure if its a cable issue. I turned everything off (from the mains) apart from the sub itself and the humm was still there. I then removed the cable from the amp itself and still the hum was there. So it was purely plugged into the wall and the sub cable was attached to it.

I then removed the sub cable which of course stopped the humming. When i put the cable back on it would seem that if i push it all the way on, so that the gold ring of teh connection is touching the main body of the sub, i.e. pushed right the way in then it hums. If i pull it out a fraction then the humming stops.

I will now test it with a blu ray and see if this adjustment affects the performance.

I'm about to embark on the exact upgrade so will be waiting with baited breath Gander...

scene

Well done! Bit of a pain though - need to put a little rubber gromit over the sub connection to stop it getting pushed in too far...

(And before anyone comments - I mean you Andrew - no pictures of Wallace's doggie friend please...
emotion-5.gif
)

A

Anonymous

They sad that you should be able to push it completely on with any issues (i can do this with the skinny cable). Its a fault with the grounding or something.

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
I had exactly the same problem when I upgraded my unbranded £9 sub cable to a 10m Chord Crimson for 5 times the price. I got a lot of "I told you so" from the missus, but analogue seduction sent me a new one, which was perfik.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
scene:(And before anyone comments - I mean you Andrew - no pictures of Wallace's doggie friend please...
emotion-5.gif
)

Oh no, not a chance, lad, that's the wrong gromit. One 'm', see...? More cheese? I do like a nice piece of Wensleydale, etc...

And just to be certain, this is the wrong Wallis. And indeed the wrong dog...

Wallis-Simpson-with-her-Dog-716101.jpg

jc.com

Jun 8, 2009
Visit site
Andrew Everard:

scene:(And before anyone comments - I mean you Andrew - no pictures of Wallace's doggie friend please...
emotion-5.gif
)

Oh no, not a chance, lad, that's the wrong gromit. One 'm', see...? More cheese? I do like a nice piece of Wensleydale, etc...

And just to be certain, this is the wrong Wallis. And indeed the wrong dog...

Wallis-Simpson-with-her-Dog-716101.jpg

....and holding some sort of terrier!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Gander......

Sorry to hear of your misforture on this one......a replacement will be well worth the wait, I reckon.......

Just loving the one I bought recently, which has no grounding issues at all.........

lee37

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
i have tthe exact same problem but the other way round.

i got a custom qed reference cable about a month ago and it worked fine until today when i got a deafening humming sound and after moving things around i came to the conclusion it was the cable.

i tried a 1 metre signiture cable that i had spare and it worked fine.

so my 5m ref cable is going back

so what to buy to replace ill start a new topic

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts