Upgrade gimmickry or technological advances

Parky

Jan 9, 2008
Visit site
I decided to play Infected by The The (cd) and remembered that the disc had a green edging attached to it. It was apparently designed to enhance the sound......maybe. Anyone else remember them or have any other 'upgrades' they would like to share e.g. house brick or cut up squash balls!

A

Anonymous

Squash Balls! Yes! If my (borrowed) turntable is mounted directly on my 'stand', if I walk heavily (ok - stamp) on the floor (suspended, laminate) my woofers wobble about alarmingly (painful). If, however, I arrange 3 halves of squash balls in a triangle and put an Argos 'granite' chopping board on them and use that as a base, the woofers don't wobble no matter how much I stamp (almost). So - for me, they work!

A

Anonymous

I used to coat all my cd's with green pen, damned if it worked but I hoped it did!

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I go for switching the lights out or closing my eyes when listening to music, not necessarily a technological advance, but the lack of visual stimuli seems to improve the sound of my system.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Gwyndy"]I go for switching the lights out or closing my eyes when listening to music, not necessarily a technological advance, but the lack of visual stimuli seems to improve the sound of my system.[/quote]

One reason I often turn off the display - ie the screen or projector - when assessing the sound quality of AV equipment.

A

Anonymous

The green edge did work on some cd players as does the blue led. Most cd players though it makes no difference.
Cd players that have the disc sat on top of the player open to the elements benefit from the green ring or a blue light.
It's all to do with light refraction (remembering the laser light is red)
Brent

A

Anonymous

Candle light seems to improve the music too LOL.

It can be one of two things causing this
1) The candles relax you more
2) The lights being off are not affecting the mains by adding noise

I believe it's more the first one in this instance

Brent

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Less light, so less visual distraction. And given that research suggests the same parts of our brain work on both vision and sound, removing the visual stimuli is going to help us concentrate more on the sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts