upgrade from philips 9664

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I'm thinking of upgrading my 9664, as I'm interested in 3d tv and smart functionality.

Problem is, me and the girlfriend really do love Ambilight, and so we still feel we should stick with Philips (possibly wait for the 2012 9000 series)

In terms of the models out now, what would be a worthwhile upgrade? I use the tv for blu rays, dvd, normal tv viewing and some gaming.

I think i've really narrowed it down to 9705 and 9706, but I'm open to suggestions

Thanks,

Mat

Bear in mind that Philips has quit making TVs themselves. Check this news:

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2012/04/philips-quits-the-tv-business/

You can have a "pseudo ambilight". There are many products in the market. I've got this:

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00202324/

A

Anonymous

Hi Bigboss,

Thanks for the info, I'm not sure how much detail has been released regarding the 2012 models, but I was under the impression that Philips has licensed the tv manufacturing to a new company, and this would include the use of ambilight technology?

That aside, my 9664 has quite a bad case of clouding, and the blacks are, well, grey.

ho hum.

Mat

A

Anonymous

Hi Bigboss,

Thanks for the info, I'm not sure how much detail has been released regarding the 2012 models, but I was under the impression that Philips has licensed the tv manufacturing to a new company, and this would include the use of ambilight technology?

That aside, my 9664 has quite a bad case of clouding, and the blacks are, well, grey.

ho hum.

Mat

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Philips will have TV's in the UK this year and I think the entry level models are already coming through. There is no confirmation that the premium 9 series will make it to the UK though so if you are looking for three-sided ambilight you may track down a 9706 or 9606 - there are still some out there.

D

Deleted member 2457

Juzzie Wuzzie said:
My 9664 went back to the shop due to clouding and screen failure. Wouldn't touch them again. Forum 'consensus' (as much as there can be) suggests looking at the Panasonic plasmas.

Agreed, especially as you mention good blacks.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
They are very different screens - we have a 9606 beside the DT50 in store as well as a VT50 and they all present the picture in a different way. Saying one is better in general terms is tricky and the Philips is still up there with the best.

If you are talking black levels against all else you are looking at a very small part of the overall performance - like having a car with good suspension but useless brakes . The 46PFL9706 takes some beating with the Moth Eye filter if it is proper black rather than forced black that you are after.

D

Deleted member 2457

The Panasonic kicks butt in other areas too this year. Ambilight is good and I loved mine too, but performance is most important, you soon forget about it.

Juzzie Wuzzie

TheHomeCinemaCentre said:
They are very different screens - we have a 9606 beside the DT50 in store as well as a VT50 and they all present the picture in a different way. Saying one is better in general terms is tricky and the Philips is still up there with the best.

If you are talking black levels against all else you are looking at a very small part of the overall performance - like having a car with good suspension but useless brakes . The 46PFL9706 takes some beating with the Moth Eye filter if it is proper black rather than forced black that you are after.

Don't disagree at all Nick, and thanfully for me, Richer Sounds replaced the tv (car) when it broke down.

TRENDING THREADS