Phllips dead, what next

greymack

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
Morning folks.

It's been a few years since i visited these forums but always found them to be a great source of info when shopping for a new TV and it's that position i find myself in again, well possibly, let me explain.

In 2009/2010 i bought the then tv of year Philips 42PFL9664 and i loved it all be it with some issues with movement (discussed some years ago on this very forum). Anyway that tv died in 2013 and because i had a 5 year warranty with philips they considered the old set not repaireable so i received a new model the 42PFL6907 via John Lewis. This was a 'like for like' spec and we were reasonably happy.

Now that TV has also died we were sitting watching you've been framed (no comments please) and over 1 -2 seconds the screen just darkened and went black, at first we thought it was just another hilarious video from Harry Hill but no the image never returned. I tried freeview, sky and bluray but there was no image confirming something has gone sadly a miss with the screen.

So i have dug out my purchase info and as it was from John Lewis i believe i still have a year or so left on the warranty (fingers crossed). I'm going to phone them this morning and see whats going to happen, however I maybe getting a head of myself here but becuase this is a 4 year old model chance are they won't repair again and might offer another 'like for like' spec tv so i'm wondering whats out there in tv land at the moment.

First thing i noticed was John Lewis does not seem to sell Philips anymore which may affect my options. I personally would be quite happy to ditch Philips as a brand however the wife loves the ambilight and i must admit they usually have better quality sound than alot of other brands.

Finally to my point (sorry for prattling on) forgetting any warranty stipulations what is currently a good 43-48" tv with good sound and still with 3D built in (daughter still uses this), maybe curved? probably 4K, any thoughts opinions would be most welcome.

Philips does not manufacture TVs anymore. It has sold its AV business and badge.

John Lewis will most likely offer you a like for like replacement if repair is uneconomical, or you can upgrade to a higher spec TV by paying the difference.

Ultimately, it depends on your budget. Speak to John Lewis and see how much more you want to spend. Let us know the budget.

If you want 4K, go for minimum 55 inches TV, ideally 65 inches.

greymack

Jul 14, 2016
Visit site
Hi again,

No Philip is not dead but my Philips appears to be.

Spoke to John Lewis tech support this morning and my warranty is intact and stands and they are going to send out an engineer on Monday. Not sure what he's going to do as there's no picture to get feedback from any settings tweaks etc.

So it will either be a repair or a like like for like replacement and then possibly i might be able to negotiate more of an upgrade.

BigBoss, 48" is probably the biggest i can go to in my room so are suggesting 4k would be a waste on a tv that size? Also anyone got any thoughts on the curve sets?

greymack said:
BigBoss, 48" is probably the biggest i can go to in my room so are suggesting 4k would be a waste on a tv that size? Also anyone got any thoughts on the curve sets?

What's your viewing distance? That will decide whether it's worth having 48" in 4K resolution.

Curve is a personal preference. I'm not a big fan of it, gives out very weird oblong reflections of light for example.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts