Upgrade DVD/Surround

GazW649

Jan 8, 2008
Visit site
I currently play DVDs on a Xbox 360 into a Samsung 20" LCD. I then route the audio through a Nad 352 into a pair of B&W 685s.

Would buying a standalone DVD player/upscaler improve the picture, and what are the options for surround sound? The room is fairly small.

A

Anonymous

Depending on your 360 (Ie is it an elite) I would reccomend picking up a HD Drive for the 360. It up scales and plays the now obsolute (And therefore cheap!) HD Dvd's (See rdvd.co.uk). As for the surround it would depend on how much you have to spend

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Depending on how much you can spend, a standalone DVD player would improve the picture over your Xbox. I wouldn't go for the HD-DVD drive unless you can find it really cheap - it's not really that good. If you're going that route, I'd look for an old Toshiba EP-30 - much much better picture. However, is Blu-Ray in the frame at all?

On the surround, since you already have the 685s, I'd look at getting the rest of the B&W 685 Home Theatre package. You'd need the HTM62 centre (£250 RRP), the 686s for the rears (£280) and the ASW608 sub (roughly £300) so goes a little over your budget (unless you can find them cheaper somewhere), but would be well worth it in my opinion.

GazW649

Jan 8, 2008
Visit site
Blue ray is definately in the picture, like the look of the Sony DVP-NS708H. If I were to get the B&W home cinema, what about a receiver? (£400 ange)

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Duh, I forgot the receiver! Anyway, If you can spend £400 on top of the speakers, that would be great - I'm guessing you still want a decent music performance in which case, I'd look at the Sony STR-DA1200ES or the Denon 2308 which have pre-outs allowing you to keep the NAD for the front speakers and keeping your music performance, whilst giving you the surround system as well. If music isn't a concern, look at the Onkyo 606 (NB - though new amps from Denon and Pioneer are coming out soon so may be worth hanging on for these).

A

Anonymous

Did anyone miss the fact that the display is only 20in? I would be looking to upgrade this first before worrying about a HD source or upscaling DVD player simply because you won't really see much difference. With the sound... I'm with Prof Hat.... you already have the 685's, which are cracking speakers... may aswell keep it in the family and get the whole set.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Indeed I did - I must remember to read posts properly! Indeed, I'm with tomcat on this one - on a 20" screen, upscaling DVDs / Blu-Ray isn't going to provide a really noticeable improvement so unless you're looking to upgrade the TV, I wouldn't worry about this.

GazW649

Jan 8, 2008
Visit site
Cheers!
emotion-2.gif

gonna look at the B&W package - I agree the 685s are terrific speakers, and those receivers. Thanks again

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts