Visit site
Hi all,
Current system:
Turntable - Linn Basik with Akito arm.
Cartridge - VM-AT95 with Micro line stylus
Phono stage - Rega fono.
Amp - Marantz PM6003
Speakers - Kef Coda 8.

I'll be looking to make an upgrade in the coming year. I won't have a lot to spend but I'm happy buying used gear, probably looking at a budget of around £500 depending on a whole bunch of things so feel free to make suggestions outside of this. What I'm struggling with is where those funds would best be spent. Currently I'm thinking speakers or amp. Any thoughts gratefully received.
Thanks.

Hi all,
Current system:
Turntable - Linn Basik with Akito arm.
Cartridge - VM-AT95 with Micro line stylus
Phono stage - Rega fono.
Amp - Marantz PM6003
Speakers - Kef Coda 8.

I'll be looking to make an upgrade in the coming year. I won't have a lot to spend but I'm happy buying used gear, probably looking at a budget of around £500 depending on a whole bunch of things so feel free to make suggestions outside of this. What I'm struggling with is where those funds would best be spent. Currently I'm thinking speakers or amp. Any thoughts gratefully received.
Thanks.
Those KEFs are good but quite aged now so I would sort of agree, however I would say speakers and cartridge if your amp is still going strong.
Do you prefer the Fono to the inbuilt phono stage in the amp?

Hi there, I know the kefs are supposed to be ok, do you have them on dedicated stands?
its a decent enough setup, but if you want a bit of a boost, I’d suggest selling the amp, and possibly the phono stage too. And buying a better amp.
alternatively, you could replace the kef with a more modern speaker, and see if that gives you a lift.

Reactions: Al ears

Rugi

Apr 6, 2022
Visit site
@Al ears - I hadn't considered going for a cartridge upgrade, the AT is only a few months old but you're right to raise the possibility. I do prefer the Rega fono over the amps integrated one but to be fair it represents only a marginal improvement, largely in terms of detail.

@bigfish786 Care to suggest a possible amp? Thanks for the input 👍

It’s tricky to advise when ŷouve got an older, but well balanced system. As a Linn owner you’ll probably know they always suggest improving the source first. So they’d say get a LP12, but even the cheapest used ones don’t leave much change from a grand these days.

As your main source looks like LP I wonder how a new Rega or Project might sound versus the Basik. I’ve almost forgotten what that was like. Can you get to hear one?

Otherwise I’d try to find a better amp, and Marantz remains a favourite brand of mine. There’s a KI Pearl Lite on eBay currently for £525, for example. (As an illustration, as I’m not recommending the seller or that exact item).

It’s a regular favourite at a budget level. But the Leema pulse is a cracking amp to invest in.
a powerful amp with a great phono stage. Is well worth a look. (used). But well worth it.
in general, under 500 I’d pick a used amplifier.
but if you want new, then Arcam will offer a lot for the money. ( maybe ex display etc)
finally, Audiolab 6000 could be within budget too.

Last edited:
@Al ears - I hadn't considered going for a cartridge upgrade, the AT is only a few months old but you're right to raise the possibility. I do prefer the Rega fono over the amps integrated one but to be fair it represents only a marginal improvement, largely in terms of detail.

@bigfish786 Care to suggest a possible amp? Thanks for the input 👍
In an analogue setup your best method of upgrade is the source and, taken to the extreme that is your cartridge rather than the whole turntable, or the speakers.
whilst a new amplifier might offer more power or more facilities it is not necessarily going to offer the amount of really noticeable improvement that the source does.

It’s a regular favourite at a budget level. But the Leema pulse is a cracking amp to invest in.
a powerful amp with a great phono stage. Is well worth a look. (used). But well worth it.
in general, under 500 I’d pick a used amplifier.
but if you want new, then Arcam will offer a lot for the money. ( maybe ex display etc)
finally, Audiolab 6000 could be within budget too.
I can obviously vouch for the Leema Pulse (1st generation version). It's a real cracker

Rugi

Apr 6, 2022
Visit site
Thanks all for your input.
I think a turntable upgrade would best be left until I've a got a more generous budget to play with.
I'm now thinking I'll stick with my current amp for the time being and look to upgrading speakers and cartridge.

@shadders - A streamer doesn't fit with how I consume music, also whilst I'm not unhappy with my current setup, I am aware that there's room for improvement.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS