Upgrade 1986 Audiolab 8000a?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have the above still working fine bought with one of my first pay cheques when I started work as an 18 year old! I've recently upgraded my speakers to the Monitor Audio BR5 floorstanders from Mission 751's and my CD from an Arcam Alpha 5 to a CD73. I'm using QED silver anniversary speaker cables and a chord chameleon interconnect. I'm pleased with the sound but I'm wondering would I benefit from an amp upgrade with mine being so old? Options I'm considering are the Roksan Kandy III, NAD C370 or an Audiolab power amp in conjunction with the 8000a. I also liked the idea of an an Arcam amp such as the A80 but the comments I've seen on forums are a bit indifferent. Thanks.

A

Anonymous

Grab yourself an Audiolab 8000P power amp. Masses of power and you could either biamp with the 8000A or use them as pre/power. I'd go for the latter as the 8000P has masses of power. I think your source will be the weak link then.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your replies gents. Having done a bit of reading since my understanding is I can use the 8000a for the tweeters and the 8000P for the woofers. To use the 8000a as a pre amp I read requires internal mods - are these easily reversed if I sell on the 8000a at a later stage? Also do you have any feel for the cost of modding the 8000a to pre amp status?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts