Update NAD but which?

obiwan kenobi

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Tomorrow i will listen at a dealer to the Cambridge cxa60. I have bought last month the Cambridge cxn streamer and find it very good. But i also know the story's about Cambridge amps are bright and i don't like a bright sound with my rock music. I have heard the NAD C356, but the volume control with the remote control is always too hard or too soft sounding. Unworkable.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
I had the original 2010 on home dem.

I didnt like it and back it went.

If I remember correctly, it was quite stilted and controlled, a bit boring. The 3010 evoked similar reactions in certain people. They tend to get good reviews however. The old Exposures are the ones to go for apparently.

No idea about the latest models.

Naim and Cyrus were more fun.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
drummerman said:
I had the original 2010 on home dem.

I didnt like it and back it went.

If I remember correctly, it was quite stilted and controlled, a bit boring. The 3010 evoked similar reactions in certain people. They tend to get good reviews however. The old Exposures are the ones to go for apparently.

No idea about the latest models.

Naim and Cyrus were more fun.

You really need to hear one, as everyone has different tastes. Many say that Cyrus are bright and I found a Naim on the bright side too, much preferring the Rega and Arcam equivalents. Have a listen to the Cambridge first, if you find it on the bright side (which some comment on), the Exposure is going to be more nuetral and clean sounding or a bit boring depending on your tastes *smile*

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
In simple terms the CXA60 is 60w, has a dac and a lot of connectivity - do you need it's extra features or is the CXN enough?

The Exposure is a no frills 75w pc amp - and likely to have more grip on your speakers.

What speakers do you have?

obiwan kenobi

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I will buy a amp and speakers. Speakers will be Q acoustics 3050 or Monitor Audio. I think Q acoustics because they sound warmer and has a softdome tweeter. The Monitor audio i can also listen tomorrow. The Bronze 5/6 and the Silver 6.

obiwan kenobi

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
The Cambridge was a little disappointed with rock and metal. The Exposure was better but cost much more. Maybe then i Will choice NAD. Always good with rock. The NAD 356 can i buy new for 559 euro. The new c368 looks nicier. But how sound it with rock? I need a warm full bodied sounding amp

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Perhaps try the new Cyrus One. I have no idea how it sounds but its roughly around your budget.

The Cyrus 6 series always had a full and warm bass. Part of it is because it doesn't excert the same control on speakers as the 8 but you might like that. Cyrus are punchy and fast, more so than NAD.

Naim has a slightly darker sound with a somewhat more rounded bass (speaker dependant) due to lower damping factor, usually around 12 which is slightly more than a good valve amplifier but not as much as many solid staters, think 50 to 80. Great for Rock and punchier than NAD.

NAD's, at least the higher power 3 series go louder ultimately and score with high headroom but also sound somewhat more reserved imho. They lack the drive and dynamics of Naim and Cyrus.

I very much liked the little 315BEE (now superseded). It lacks the slightly stiffled sound of the bigger 3 series and sounded more alive even if it gives a little in power. All my memories of NAD amplifiers go back a few years but I would have thought they still have that house sound given that the circuits seem to have largely stayed the same. I have not heard the latest 'class D' Nad's so can't comment.

There is also a new Rega Brio R on the way. I read it is voiced to be less lean than the current model.

obiwan kenobi

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
I like with my rock and metal a warm and full bodied sound. In these days it seems everything will become brighter. I don't like that.

I'm looking at 2 NAD amps; the older NAD c356 or the new NAD C368. Also looking for a fine streamer. Which will be for my music the best:

NAD C356 with Cambridge CXN streamer

NAD C368 with Cambridge CXN streamer

NAD C368 with Bluesound node 2 module

obiwan kenobi

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
No; only NAD. A dealer said to me for rock and metal the old C356 are better because it sounds warmer and more forgiven for bad records. Also more dynamic. Is this true? In the C368 you can put the Bluesound node 2 modul. Will be the sound so good as with a Cambridge cxn streamer? But the volumecontrol for the C356 is realy unworkable. Very bad.

rainsoothe

I'd really wait to hear the Q Acoustics and the Monitor Audios - they are pretty much on the bright side (at least the new range, the 3000, imo). The Silver range from MA ist the one without bright sound, bronze and gold are bright-ish. The CXN itself is pretty full-bodied, so do audition, because you don't want everything in your system to be warm/soft, because you'll end up with very boring sounding stuff.

I agree, the CXN is really, really good.

I would pair it with Exposure 3010 / Naim 5si (even second hand) and Focal Aria 906 (these are very balanced speakers, and very easy to drive, with smooth treble - if I were to chose where to spend more money - amp or speakers - I would try to get these, and match the amp accordingly). Arcam sounds more full-bodied then the Naim or Exposure. Nad can have a bass that sounds too fat and slow if partnered wrong, that's why it's very important to audition for yourself.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Is a safe bet if you like the nad sound
Imo the nad amps do voices better than the roksan.
Although the tone was more even on the kandy.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
obiwan kenobi said:
I have heard the NAD C356, but the volume control with the remote control is always too hard or too soft sounding. Unworkable.

That is very true. I had one ( the DAC 2.0 version) for a trial last year and though I liked it a lot, when you play a lot of music at quite low levels the volume control was very frustrating. I gave up on it after a couple of weeks and sent it back. Shame really as when it was cranked up a bit it sounded really good. You can still buy my returned amp in the clearance section at Sevenoaks Audio, and if you are not fussed about the volume control it's a great amp for the money (£379).

obiwan kenobi

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Yeah; the Cambridge cxn streamer is very good. It was nice if the CXC60 amp was more sounded like the NAD; warm, full bodied, good bass. But it isn't. Q acoustics 3050 bright???? I mean this i a warm sounding speaker. MA are always on the bright side.

Samd

obiwan kenobi said:
Yeah; the Cambridge cxn streamer is very good. It was nice if the CXC60 amp was more sounded like the NAD; warm, full bodied, good bass. But it isn't. Q acoustics 3050 bright???? I mean this i a warm sounding speaker. MA are always on the bright side.

Agreed. I have the 3050s (with CXA80) and bright they are not!!

rainsoothe said:
I'd really wait to hear the Q Acoustics and the Monitor Audios - they are pretty much on the bright side (at least the new range, the 3000, imo). The Silver range from MA ist the one without bright sound, bronze and gold are bright-ish. The CXN itself is pretty full-bodied, so do audition, because you don't want everything in your system to be warm/soft, because you'll end up with very boring sounding stuff.

I agree with rainsoothe on this .....I have smooth sounding naim xs and first partnered with B&W cm5's which can be a warm full bodied speaker but it bored the life out of me...in came the more lively pmc's and it's a whole lot more entertaining.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts