up in smoke

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
got my sansui au 417 today off ebay pluged it in and 3 mins into playing and sounding very nice indeed.i spoted a small plume of smoke coming from the top grill of the amp.switched off and removed the top of the amp lots of dust and some of the glue was loose in the case.so put it back together and took it to my loacl hi-fi service shop.he,s takeing a look and phoneing me back today.if all ok it will get a full service.if not its with a heavy heart going back[:(].

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
Yeah, had a similar problem with an amp bought off ebay, usual problem of dust build up. Annoying but does happen I guess, hope your guy manages to sort it out for you

A

Anonymous

2 Capacitors a lot of dry soiler joints and negotiation with e bay seller.
emotion-12.gif

A

Anonymous

best bit of ebay luck ever.i got the seller to phone the shop where the amp was.he did and has refunded me the total cost of the repair to my paypall account.im a happy man
emotion-2.gif

T

the record spot

That's what you want - is this the AU-417 that was on Ebay recently? Good on your seller for doing the decent thing.

A

Anonymous

it was the one on ebay.the seller has been very helpfull.record how did you get on with your 717

T

the record spot

It's currently doing the duties rather well thanks. Sounds as good as I'd hoped it would and really chuffed I've got the chance to hear it doing its thing. Very "honest" amp - doesn't hide anything away and way above anything I've had before, by a long way at that!

A

Anonymous

that good stuff .i can not wait to get the 417 back middle of next week with luck.i have a au217 ,au2200 and the new one.buying the sansui amps is the best move i have made in hifi in a long time.i only played the 417 for about 3 mins before the smoke .but it sounded very nice and that was with all the problems.

T

the record spot

Yep, they're built to last alright; my 717 had a bunch of well corroded capacitors inside, which the guy doing the service replaced throughout. Sounds amazing now, but it wasn't too shabby before!

A

Anonymous

yes the guy at the service shop was amazed that the 2 big capacitors on the mono cards where corroded and leaking one had no reading the other very low.yet the amp still worked no hum buzz. the amp only ran into problems when the volume was pushed a bit

T

the record spot

That's impressive; on the 717, there are four of those capacitors (I take it you mean the two big ones on the 417 just next to the power transformer?) - hefty things that can carry a big charge.

A

Anonymous

no not the big ones .the ones on the cards that back on to the heat sinks

T

the record spot

Ah, right, got you. Yeah, mine went as well. A bunch of them. Saw one and it was amazing it was still hanging on to the circuit board.

A

Anonymous

got the au417 back from the shop today with abag of bits that have been replaced.let it warm up and played it for a hour or two and its all smiles here.

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
We ought to start a 'Happy Sansui x17 Owners' sub forum, but then the prices might start to go up even more...

Glad you like your 417
emotion-1.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts