Dust in amplifier

sixty2strat

Sep 19, 2014
Visit site
This might be a dumb question but for amps/ receivers with open/ exposed ventilation grill at the top, does anyone use some sort of dust cover / material to limit dust entering the amp?
Would a simple polyester cover be suitable to allow airflow?

For whatever reason the location where my receiver sits, it seems to accumulate a fair amount of dust, which when cleaned still does not stop it from entering the receiver.

James105

Oct 30, 2019
Visit site
This might be a dumb question but for amps/ receivers with open/ exposed ventilation grill at the top, does anyone use some sort of dust cover / material to limit dust entering the amp?

For whatever reason the location where my receiver sits, it seems to accumulate a fair amount of dust, which when cleaned still does not stop it from entering the receiver.
Household dust is non conductive so it shouldn't cause any problems but you could cover it when not in use, I found these first try but there must be many others.

I'd make sure to power it off not leave it in stand by in case it overheats! All things considered I think I'd just not bother

twinkletoes

Nov 16, 2021
Visit site
The circuit board will be designed to handle dust and would have been tested with dust in mind.

No one here should be advising you to restrict the airflow to the amp/electronics, those vents are there for good reason, you do so at your own risk.

Those pc filters, they are designed for actively cooled systems they will drastically heat up your amp as they do a PC when they’re installed. If your amp gets particularly hot they may also melt. As they don’t actually sit over direct heat within a pc, they probably won’t but it’s something to bear in mind.

If you keep on top of cleaning the amp will be fine.

If it’s gets to what you consider bad, take the lid off and blow away the dust using compressed air (when the item is cool) and use some isopropyl alcohol and toothbrush to clean the board.

Again you do this at your own risk stay away from the power supply it can and will kill you if touched in the wrong way.

You have to be mindful also, if it’s a new product you can void the warranty by taking the lid off with some brands. And you’ll most certainly void the warranty covering the vents by doing anything other than what’s directed in the manual

Reactions: Symples
When you turn the unit off and it has cooled down you can then put a cover over it, just make sure it covers the front panel as well so that you don't forget to remove it when you use the unit again.

Under NO circumstances cover the unit up when in use.

Bill
My thoughts exactly.
You're likely to do more harm to an amp by covering it whilst in use as opposed to just let whatever little dust is likely to enter said amp while it is in use.
Allow it to cool down afterwards and then cover it by all means if your house is that dusty....
None of my amplifiers have ever been covered in their lifetime except for my Tom Evans Linear A which was a valve power amp, and that took ages to cool down before I covered it only because valves and dust do tend to smell a bit on start up....

podknocker

I'll be surprised if Class D doesn't take over the amp sector, within 5 years or so. It's a no brainer really, now the tech has been developed so far. I know many enjoy the sound of valves, but for me, they're expensive, unreliable and I don't want a safe, cosy and warm sound. I want to hear the recording, good or bad. Cleaning a valve amp, with the dust all over the glass bits would do my nut in.

Last edited:

Jasonovich

Jul 28, 2022
Visit site

If your HiFi kit is out of warranty, open the cover and apply generously PC Air Duster (compressed air cannister), this will safely dislodge the dust.
It's better to leave the vents open, there's a reason for this :)

Gray

Dust / contamination was always an enemy to exposed signal switches and rotary controls.
Although much less of a problem now, due to electronically controlled functions, you still don't want a layer of dust on your internal heat sinks, open sockets etc.

My components have always been adequately ventilated when in use, but completely enclosed (including the backs and all cabling) when not in use.

podknocker

I do agree amps require decent ventilation and the holes are there for a reason, but my kit seems to cope well. I think amps in particular can withstand elevated temperatures. They are not as delicate as some people imagine. It does depend on the type of circuitry etc. As mentioned above, Class D amps would be OK with the chassis used as a heatsink and without the need for cooling by ventilation.

Reactions: Gray

Fandango Andy

I'll be surprised if Class D doesn't take over the amp sector, within 5 years or so. It's a no brainer really, now the tech has been developed so far. I know many enjoy the sound of valves, but for me, they're expensive, unreliable and I don't want a safe, cosy and warm sound. I want to hear the recording, good or bad. Cleaning a valve amp, with the dust all over the glass bits would do my nut in.
Every hifi component has its own sound, often one element is pushed to the front at the expense of others. It sounds like you favour clarity over other elements. Class D gas been around since the 50s, its more popular than ever now for various reasons, but I don't think it will take over. Different types of amp aren't better or worse, they are just different!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts