Question up grade to Marantz CD6004

Chris2021

Mar 7, 2021
Visit site
Hi All

Have been using Marantz CD6004, looking for an upgrade.

My set-up consists of Musical Fidelity A 3.2 amp and KEF Q950 speakers. Considering Cyrus CD i but I read a few negative comments about the player especially CD skipping or some CDs not being read.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Chris

Hi All

Have been using Marantz CD6004, looking for an upgrade.

My set-up consists of Musical Fidelity A 3.2 amp and KEF Q950 speakers. Considering Cyrus CD i but I read a few negative comments about the player especially CD skipping or some CDs not being read.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Chris
Budget? And why the need to upgrade?
logic would say you go for a second hand A3.2 CD player to match your amp or you go for a recent model Marantz like the CD6006 UK Edition of the dearer CD6007.
Having said that I have always rated Demon CD players in particular the DCD800NE

Last edited:

Chris2021

Mar 7, 2021
Visit site
Budget? And why the need to upgrade?
logic would say you go for a second hand A3.2 CD player to match your amp or you go for a recent model Marantz like the CD6006 UK Edition of the dearer CD6007.
Having said that I have always rated Demon CD players in particular the DCD800NE

I was using a Marantz PM6004 amp, wanted to upgrade to PM8006 then the HIFI dealer suggested a second-hand MF a3.2 which sounded great so bought it. very happy with the purchase. Then I purchased q950 speakers.

I guess if I upgrade the CD player I should be able to get better listening pleasure. This is the motivation to upgrade. Budget around GBP1000

If your budget is that high look for the Denon I mentioned it even the Musical Fidelity M3SCD, there is an ex demo one on eBay for just under your budget and I think you could even knock them down a bit from asking price.
Another approach would be to buy the Audiolab 6000CDT transport and buy a separate DAC. This is the route I would probably take.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tinman1952

Tinman1952

Another approach would be to buy the Audiolab 6000CDT transport and buy a separate DAC. This is the route I would probably take.
I have to agree with this. You could get the 6000CDT and say a Topping E30 new for £500 and always upgrade the DAC later if required.
This CD transport is absolutely excellent. Really solid build and also silent! Same disc drive as one used in the Audiolab 8300 CD which I believe was developed especially by JVC….not the usual cheapo Sanyo drives…. 👍

D

Deleted member 116933

I have to agree with this. You could get the 6000CDT and say a Topping E30 new for £500 and always upgrade the DAC later if required.
This CD transport is absolutely excellent. Really solid build and also silent! Same disc drive as one used in the Audiolab 8300 CD which I believe was developed especially by JVC….not the usual cheapo Sanyo drives…. 👍

I stay away from Topping for the time being there seems to be a problem with the coax input and which they can't seem sort and are very aware of it, the distributor has a statement on their website. THOUGH if you/whoever doesn't intend to use that input then all seems to be fine but cuts the connections down.

Seems to be across a number of their DAC's and seems to be because they have swapped a controller chip on the newer production runs.

Reactions: Al ears

Tinman1952

I stay away from Topping for the time being there seems to be a problem with the coax input and which they can't seem sort and are very aware of it, the distributor has a statement on their website. THOUGH if you/whoever doesn't intend to use that input then all seems to be fine but cuts the connections down.

Seems to be across a number of their DAC's and seems to be because they have swapped a controller chip on the newer production runs.
People on forums have been saying that for over two years…. 🙄
Which distributor? Nothing on the Electromod site in the UK…

D

Deleted member 116933

People on forums have been saying that for over two years…. 🙄
Which distributor? Nothing on the Electromod site in the UK…

Just quoting the website if its wrong I'm happy to be wrong, was there the other day maybe they've sorted it out. Stanger things have happened. A little disconcerting though if people have been saying for 2 years! there has to be something going on there then no.

If the 6004 has a digital output, why not just get a DAC, something like Denafrips Ares 2 or whatever?
It does but why would you want to use a perfectly serviceable CD player as a transport only, bypassing a perfectly good dac?
That's a bit like buying an integrated amplifier and the deciding to us it purely as a preamp, bonkers!
not saying he couldn't but financially he might be better off selling it and buying a completely new system designed to do one thing well.
I can see where you are coming from and it will possibly make sense but it depends on whether keeping the old CD player will appear as the upgrade the OP wants.

Last edited:

rainsoothe

It does but why would you want to use a perfectly serviceable CD player as a transport only, bypassing a perfectly good dac?
That's a bit like buying an integrated amplifier and the deciding to us it purely as a preamp, bonkers!
not saying he couldn't but financially he might be better off selling it and buying a completely new system designed to do one thing well.
I can see where you are coming from and it will possibly make sense but it depends on whether keeping the old CD player will appear as the upgrade the OP wants.
Well OP wants an upgrade, and he already has a great transport, and imo selling it on and getting a different one, like the Audiolab, will actually raise the cost. Also, a DAC will future proof a system and make it more versatile, since you can just add a streaming transport, or run a TV or whatever through it. I mean sure, with a 1 k budget you can get a good CD player, but it will do just that.

Unless SACD playback is a must or desirable, which makes my whole argument dead :)

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts