Unitilite users?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I know there are a few peeps on here with one!

How are you getting on with it, have the issues with the CDP been sorted? Any feedback from Naim?

How are they sounding?

jjbomber

Getting on excellent now. Unitilite replaced with a brand new one by the retailler. I took him in some speaker cable to terminate while I was there, so he did that without charge. A good hi-fi dealer is worth his weight in gold (to me anyway). New CD Player section working fine, no issues at all. No feedback from Naim whatsoever, none was expected.

The sound is awesome. If I could get that sound anywhere else I would gladly leave Naim alone. Customer service down here is a joke, as you know. However, once you listen to a Unitilite, it's difficult to get excited about anything else. To give you an example, while I was there they were demoing a Bryston CDP, Heed Obelisk amp and KEF LS50 speakers. Technically perfect; it really was like the woman was standing in the room singing. However, it never moved me emotionally like the Unitilite does; it is just so musical. It's a bit like cars. Mercedes build a better car than BMW but they are so boring to drive, give me the BMW to throw around corners anyday.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Thanks so much for the feedback!

im very tempted to swap my Rega boxes for one now!

Are you streaming FLAC or ALAC? Hard wire or wireless?

jjbomber

stevebrock said:

I use both, The ALAC is for proper CDs and also bootlegs that have been made into CDs. The ALAC files are downloaded bootlegs via BitTorrent. I have also used it with WAV files from an Edirol HR-09 attached to the front USB port.

I use it in wireless mode (Wi-Fi) and I also use the original uniti upstairs via the Wi-Fi connection. No problems at all and neither of these have ever lost the signal. The hub is the VirginMedia Superhub, made by Netgear. I originally hard wired it on ethernet, but didn't find there to be any discernable difference in quality. I haven't tried any hi-res files, as I don't have any!

As always, have a listen at a good retaillers with open ears and an open mind.Be warned; you may end up with an open wallet! Not sure where you are or what the service is like. Seeing a Naim rep in South Wales is as rare as seeing Lord Lucan riding Shergar. However, he does call to Bristol, so he does exist.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Yeah thanks I have a good Rega/Naim dealer here in the midlands, I am going to get a side by side comparison! I will use CDs but primarily use my iMac as source and my Virgin Media Netgear Hub, I have a few hi res files but mainly 16/44.

I will have to get a phono stage too, but look at the back of the unitilite not sure where it would go?

Anyway thanks for the feedback

empacher

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Thanks so much for the feedback!

im very tempted to swap my Rega boxes for one now!

I thought you said you did a side by side in a previous post and the Rega won out?

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I am happy with my rega just keep thinking about the neatness of an all in one going off the idea now though as I will have to buy a phono stage so I guess it defeats the object

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
stevebrock said:
I am happy with my rega just keep thinking about the neatness of an all in one going off the idea now though as I will have to buy a phono stage so I guess it defeats the object
If you have some upgrade money (and the 'neatness' thing has waned) then how about taking a step or two up the Rega turntable range (RP3 or RP6) and uprading the cartridge too?

I think that will yield a bigger improvement in quality than a swap to a UnitiLite or 'Qute (assuming the TT is your most often chosen source).

stevebrock said:

Depends, I suppose, on the importance of 'neatness' whether a phono stage will be worthwhile.

As the Rega stuff you have is half-sized you probably won't save much space.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
stevebrock said:
If you have some upgrade money (and the 'neatness' thing has waned) then how about taking a step or two up the Rega turntable range (RP3 or RP6) and uprading the cartridge too?

I think that will yield a bigger improvement in quality than a swap to a UnitiLite or 'Qute (assuming the TT is your most often chosen source).

After some thought I should perhaps keep my Rega boxes as I do love the sound Re: TT, I have a white RP3 with 2M Red on order!

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
stevebrock said:
Yeah thanks I have a good Rega/Naim dealer here in the midlands, I am going to get a side by side comparison! I will use CDs but primarily use my iMac as source and my Virgin Media Netgear Hub, I have a few hi res files but mainly 16/44.

I will have to get a phono stage too, but look at the back of the unitilite not sure where it would go?

Anyway thanks for the feedback

I feed my 640P into an analogue input of my Uniti, works fine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts