Unison Research/Audio Analogue

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Unfortunatley my beloved Yamaha CA1000 apmlifier stopped working over the weekend - it isn't yet clear whether it can be repaired at a reasonable cost so I am looking at other options.

Does anyone have any experience with either of the above brands, in particular in conjunction with the MA RX range? I used to listen to my old Yamaha in class A mode and wondered whether these brands might be a good option - definitely don't want anything too forward sounding as I didn't like those brands at the recent hifi show in manchester and a good phono stage is a must as I use my turntable a lot more than the CDP. Any purchase will be second hand so extensive auditioning isn't an option. Budget is around £750.

Any views welcome.

Ian

Sabby

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
I have the Unison Research Unico amp driving a pair of Monitor Audio S6's and this combo sounds simply superb. The Unico has been replaced by the Primo and for all intents and purposes they are identical. The MA S6's are the forerunners to the RS6 and now the RX6. I doubt that there would be any major differences in sound between them. I am using a Nad 545BEE CD player and a modified AR t/table as sources. There is a real synergy with these components and I am thoroughly enjoying listening to music again. I certainly wouldn't describe the sound as forward or laid back, just very natural without emphasis on any part of the audio spectrum.

matthewpiano

The Unison Research kit is excellent - natural and engaging whatever you throw at it.

I'd also be auditioning the Sugden A21a if I were you. It is a stunning piece of kit and one of the best amplifiers I've ever heard.

A

Anonymous

Thanks to both of you - I was also thinking about Sugden, although there was nothing of interest on ebay and I have heard they get very hot which isn't much good to me with a 1 year old child showing great interest in the hi fi. The old yamaha got warm in class A but not a problem to touch

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
I have experience with both brands and owned a Unison Research Unico before. In my opinion, Unison Research is clearly the better choice of the two. Having tubes in the preamp stage also gives you the additional benefit of doing some tube rolling to suit your taste.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts