um, dont know if I have a problem but this is a bit strange

DKennedy

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

I am having a BBQ on the w/end so I am taking a long lunch break to make sure my speakers and amp (yama s500/tannoys) are firing (and maybe catch some cricket
biggrin.gif
).

So I pick a track that I know well and something odd has happened.

If anyone knows the track "galvanize" by the Chemical brothers, they will know that about a minute in, there is a low bass phrase "push the button".

Well, on my new upgraded amp this phrase has almost disappeared. Its rendered as "Pu...th...bu..."
eek.gif

Can someone either explain what might have happened, whether this might indicate a fault (the amp was a return and the salesman said "erm, ah , he changed his mind".

The same thing happens through headphones so its not the speakers.

Alternatively, if you dont know this track, what tracks do you use to test the base etc on your hifi?

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
For demos I have a few bass tracks that I use:

Little Feat - Long Distance Love- Last Record Album, opening bass rift is a real test.

Genesis - Squonk - Trick of the Tail

Massive Attack - One Love -Blue Lines

Could be your amp. is bass light? Some amps produce more bass than others, what did you have before?

I would take it back and try it in the shop.

matthewpiano

The A-S500 isn't particularly bass-light so I'd be surprised if it is the culprit. Which Tannoys have you got? Were you using the same speakers with the old amp? What cables are you using and have they changed at all?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
The A-S500 isn't particularly bass-light so I'd be surprised if it is the culprit. Which Tannoys have you got? Were you using the same speakers with the old amp? What cables are you using and have they changed at all?

Uh for dog's sake, cables aren't going to make entire parts of the music disappear AND it does it with headphones. The amp's knackered, that's obviously why the previous owner took it back, do the same and get your money back before it's too late.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I think The_Lhc should have his own section of the forum, called, "Ask The_Lhc". A section where the OPs know they're going to get a no BS, straight to the point answer (for those that don't want discussions/guesswork/catfights etc).

:)

matthewpiano

Missed the bit about it being the same through headphones - sorry!

In that case, I agree - take the amp back as faulty. I wouldn't cross the Yamaha out though. It is a very capable amp at a good price, so maybe you can just swap it for a replacement one.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
matthewpiano said:

Uh for dog's sake, cables aren't going to make entire parts of the music disappear AND it does it with headphones. The amp's knackered, that's obviously why the previous owner took it back, do the same and get your money back before it's too late.

Yup, and that's pretty shady behaviour by the salesman. They should be named and shamed.

DKennedy

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Hi all,

Thanks for the replys. I wish this forum did an email update because this is the first time I spotted them.

OK, so a few people are saying its the amp. Is it possible that a certain, very narrow part of the bass frequency can "drop out"?

I will also try out the bass tester tracks thanks.

DKennedy

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for that, it has basically answered my question about the possibility of a specific frequency dropping out.

The little feet track definately has a "hole" in a specific bass frequency, 22-24 seconds in as the vocal starts to cross the bass everything noticably drops out.

Il contact sevenoaks in the morning.

could someone explain it in technical terms?

brendonw

May 24, 2010
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
brendonw said:
steve_1979 said:
I love the way The_Lhc is as subtle as a sledge hammer to the face. I agree that this problem sounds like it's probably a dodgy amplifier.

you should 'try' working with him :)

I can't remember the last time I saw you try to work.

Mind you I was asleep for most of the afternoon...

I always 'try'.........

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts