uhd tvs calling all that have one

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
All you with uhd tvs

How is the motion on fast scenes?
Sports?

Is there any motion judder?

How does the motion compare to your older 1080p set.

D

Deleted member 2457

Andrewjvt said:
All you with uhd tvs

How is the motion on fast scenes? Sports?

The motion is great. No motion judder. Exactly the same as my previous UHD set and before then 1080p set. I am just using factory settings too.

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
Andrewjvt said:
All you with uhd tvs

How is the motion on fast scenes? Sports?

The motion is great. No motion judder. Exactly the same as my previous UHD set and before then 1080p set. I am just using factory settings too.
These are all OLED TVs though.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
Bad motion is very obvious to me and i hate it.

Watching a 3d blu ray on my tv also looks weird due to the increased frame rate and i don't know if 3d blu rays can do regular 24p? I did hear my tv had some 3d issues not sure if they can be fixed via settings but i won't be getting an OLED in the future if motion is still reported to have problems. Motion is the worst problem i csn think of in regular tv usage. 60fps films make me feel sick!

Paul.

Andrewjvt said:
Led has better motion than oled?

oled in theory should be better than LCD or plasma as it has near instantaneous pixel response. LGs implementation of it uses the same drive method as LCD called sample and hold.

plasmas have pixels which graduate on and off, leaving a black period in between states. LCD and OLED however remain on all the time. If you have a 60hz panel the pixel is held for 60th of a second at a time whereas plasma does not.

sample and hold is a necessity for OLED as its brightness output is not high enough, either that or it's unreliable at higher brightness levels. The pixel being engaged for as long as possible increases perceived brightness.

LCD counters plasma with black frame insertion technology. I don't know if LG have an implementation of this for OLED but the LCD brightness advantage means in theory motion should be better as it has some wiggle room to sacrifice brightness in exchange for BFI.

Paul. said:
John Lewis take away by dead plasma tomorrow and drop off a mid range uhd tv, should have an opinion soon :)
My Samsung 65KU6400 is arriving on the 15th, and being installed on the 20th. Will report soon. :)

I did briefly check the 49-inch version at Richer Sounds last weekend. The screen uniformity was impressive. Can't comment on other aspects as only checked for a minute or so, before my toddler son forced me to get out (he hates shops)!

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Our oldest (of three) 4k TV is a Samsung 6-series from 2013 or 14.
The motion was a bit juddery when I first got it, but switching to an expensive HDMI cable, an Audio quest Chocolate in my case, cured that.. So ya boo to all the naysayers about the merits of decent cables.

You can also try turning OFF all the motion sensing / smoothing options in your TV's setup menus, as most people agree these can actually make things worse, not better.

Benedict_Arnold said:
Our oldest (of three) 4k TV is a Samsung 6-series from 2013 or 14.
The motion was a bit juddery when I first got it, but switching to an expensive HDMI cable, an Audio quest Chocolate in my case, cured that.. So ya boo to all the naysayers about the merits of decent cables.
It was a simple case of cable failure, which can happen with all brands. A simple swap with another cable of the same manufacturer would've cured it as well. :)

D

Deleted member 2457

nugget2014 said:
gel said:
Andrewjvt said:
Led has better motion than oled?
No. OLED is as good as plasma.

So why are loads of people moaning about motion on OLED?
Good question, perhaps they are gamers like you and have a problem with that. Nothing to do with sports or movies tho.

his dudeness

Apr 1, 2010
Visit site
i never had a problem with motion on my gt50 plasma,but the oled is better i dont get the complaints at all,it was one of the things i worried about when i ordered the oled.

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
Benedict_Arnold said:
Our oldest (of three) 4k TV is a Samsung 6-series from 2013 or 14. The motion was a bit juddery when I first got it, but switching to an expensive HDMI cable, an Audio quest Chocolate in my case, cured that.. So ya boo to all the naysayers about the merits of decent cables.
It was a simple case of cable failure, which can happen with all brands. A simple swap with another cable of the same manufacturer would've cured it as well. :)

Nope.

Tried that first.

Crummy cable #2 from Maomart was no better than crummy cable #1 from Target.

And if you're into buying cables with a greater than 50% rejection rate straight out of the wrappers, good luck to you!

Benedict_Arnold

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
No sympathy :)

There's this place called "outdoors" and it has things called "girls" and "pubs" and "shops" and "other people" in it.

Try it, you might like it.

On a more serious note, are you sure it's not a handshake issue with your console? My "ancient" series 6 Samsung often resets its frame rate to handshake with my media PC (or the other way around, I can't remember which) when I swap from watching Netflix or Blu-Rays in the BDP to ones I've already ripped to the hard disk.

Paul.

Ive cross posted this from my system thread, hope its usefull.

Paul. said:
So pleasantly surprised by the Panasonic 58DX700! The AV forums review was pretty up and down but the main cause of the low mark (50hz problems) has been fixed and is irrelevant for me. 58" from two meters is massive!

I paid £840 for a 58” UHD tv, that seems very cheap to me. As a result, I half expected it to be a bit mediocre. I was OK with that; this was meant as a stop gap for a while until I could afford something awesome. I’m pretty chuffed to be honest, it doesn’t have the LCD look that I was worried about. A TV in this price point having local dimming (albeit a basic implementation) is one of the things that swayed me over the Samsung 55KU6400, and the contrast was pretty good. I’m not that fussed over deep blacks as I don’t like watching TV in a pitch black room anyway, but it does seem to beat my old Samsung 51E6500 for contrast performance. The panel seems closer to one of Samsung’s 7 series panels than to a 6 series, it’s got a good quality filter and doesn’t appear as frosty.

Motion performance was a pleasant surprise too. As per AV forums recommendations I set the motion processing to low. This doesn’t introduce any nasty artefacts but just seems to take the edge off the 24p judder on pans. At this price point it’s not going to be up there with the best but it seems very good value.

So far I have watched Deadpool and Civil War on Bluray (not getting in to UHD until more films are available). Upscaling seems good, plenty of detail from a 1080p source.

I haven’t tried any HDR content yet and am not expecting wonders as this TV only puts out 350 nits, but daytime viewing is a marked improvement as expected over my old Plasma, I don’t need to pull the curtains when the sun is low now.

The Firefox interface is wonderful I have to admit. It’s definitely better than Tizen but not too familiar with LG so couldn’t comment. Its attractive to look at, simple and not overly cluttered. Freeview play looks good but don’t think I will use the terrestrial feed. I can see less app savvy people loving Freeview play. Bit disapointed there is no Plex but I can use the Chromecast instead.

Overall I’m pleasantly surprised! When my Plasma died I wasn’t sure I would be able to find something to beat it for sensible money but I was wrong. Unless you have a very high end Plasma like a KPR-500a I’m confident this chap would have the drop on it. For the buttons I paid for it that’s impressive.

29565599195_8a98cedaf7_b.jpg

*Before anyone tries to judge the picture quality based off of the photo I have attached, its broad daylight and I set the backlight to maximum to compensate. You can’t judge picture quality on your phone screen anyway so stop being ridiculous ;)

D

Deleted member 2457

Paul. said:
Ive cross posted this from my system thread, hope its usefull.

Paul. said:
So pleasantly surprised by the Panasonic 58DX700! The AV forums review was pretty up and down but the main cause of the low mark (50hz problems) has been fixed and is irrelevant for me. 58" from two meters is massive!

I paid £840 for a 58” UHD tv, that seems very cheap to me. As a result, I half expected it to be a bit mediocre. I was OK with that; this was meant as a stop gap for a while until I could afford something awesome. I’m pretty chuffed to be honest, it doesn’t have the LCD look that I was worried about. A TV in this price point having local dimming (albeit a basic implementation) is one of the things that swayed me over the Samsung 55KU6400, and the contrast was pretty good. I’m not that fussed over deep blacks as I don’t like watching TV in a pitch black room anyway, but it does seem to beat my old Samsung 51E6500 for contrast performance. The panel seems closer to one of Samsung’s 7 series panels than to a 6 series, it’s got a good quality filter and doesn’t appear as frosty.

Motion performance was a pleasant surprise too. As per AV forums recommendations I set the motion processing to low. This doesn’t introduce any nasty artefacts but just seems to take the edge off the 24p judder on pans. At this price point it’s not going to be up there with the best but it seems very good value.

So far I have watched Deadpool and Civil War on Bluray (not getting in to UHD until more films are available). Upscaling seems good, plenty of detail from a 1080p source.

I haven’t tried any HDR content yet and am not expecting wonders as this TV only puts out 350 nits, but daytime viewing is a marked improvement as expected over my old Plasma, I don’t need to pull the curtains when the sun is low now.

The Firefox interface is wonderful I have to admit. It’s definitely better than Tizen but not too familiar with LG so couldn’t comment. Its attractive to look at, simple and not overly cluttered. Freeview play looks good but don’t think I will use the terrestrial feed. I can see less app savvy people loving Freeview play. Bit disapointed there is no Plex but I can use the Chromecast instead.

Overall I’m pleasantly surprised! When my Plasma died I wasn’t sure I would be able to find something to beat it for sensible money but I was wrong. Unless you have a very high end Plasma like a KPR-500a I’m confident this chap would have the drop on it. For the buttons I paid for it that’s impressive.

*Before anyone tries to judge the picture quality based off of the photo I have attached, its broad daylight and I set the backlight to maximum to compensate. You can’t judge picture quality on your phone screen anyway so stop being ridiculous ;)
Looks good.
thumbs_up.gif
With HDR I have just put the picture on HDR from standard to bright and it's a marked improvement. Perhaps you can look at the HDR settings and picture mode and see what's there?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts