U2 - The Unforgettable Fire

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I stopped listening to U2 about ten years ago, once they started churning out drivel like 'A beautiful day'. This week, though, I saw three albums going for a fiver (The Joshua Tree, Under A Blood Red Sky and The Unforgettable Fire), which I bought and they reminded me why they were the biggest band of the 80's.

The unforgettable Fire, especially, is an amazing album. The title track is just beautifully haunting. A perfect record, I reckon. I'm sure most prefer 'The Joshua Tree', but '...Fire' edges it, for me.

If there are any ex-fans of U2 out there, dust off the old classic albums and remember why you used to love them. And then cry a little bit when you think of what they have become.

mitch65

Dec 16, 2003
Visit site
bretty:
I stopped listening to U2 about ten years ago, once they started churning out drivel like 'A beautiful day'. This week, though, I saw three albums going for a fiver (The Joshua Tree, Under A Blood Red Sky and The Unforgettable Fire), which I bought and they reminded me why they were the biggest band of the 80's.

The unforgettable Fire, especially, is an amazing album. The title track is just beautifully haunting. A perfect record, I reckon. I'm sure most prefer 'The Joshua Tree', but '...Fire' edges it, for me.

emotion-21.gif
emotion-11.gif

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
bretty:

If there are any ex-fans of U2 out there, dust off the old classic albums and remember why you used to love them. And then cry a little bit when you think of what they have become.

U2 are one of the finest live bands ever!

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Yeah , Bracknell Sports Centre 1981 ( or was it 1982 ?) supported by The Comsat Angels ( or was it another band?) . Brilliant . It all went down hill after that !

Nick

SteveR750

I'd make the watershed after Achtung Baby which is simply excellent, but very different from the days of War and Boy. The latter is my favourite; Gloria is simply on another planet, and October just about avoiding cliche. I'm not a huge fan of Unforegettable fire to be honest, at the time it was too much of a departure from the former albums, but Bad is one of my all time favourite tracks, even if it is simply because it invokes memories of Live Aid "We're an Irish band from Dublin City Ireland..." and wandering around the shrops countryside out of my mind on cheap cider with it playing in my sony walkman headphones...

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
shropshire lad:
Yeah , Bracknell Sports Centre 1981 ( or was it 1982 ?) supported by The Comsat Angels ( or was it another band?) . Brilliant . It all went down hill after that !

Nick

Same tour, a bit further up the M1.

Leeds University. I always get the support and headliner mixed up too. Comsat Angels supported by U2??

Anyway, you're right Bretty "The Unforgettable Fire" is great. Of it's time, and full of much derided Bono bluster and bombast, yet salvaged by some Eno/Lanois generated sound settings and one or two great songs. I still rate Bono's voice and don't mind his global issue grandstanding either. The last album I bought of theirs was" How To Dismantle. . .". For me they are the acceptable sound of all those school of bed-wetter anthems bands. (Embrace, Snow Patrol, Keane, Coldplay).

Inherently uncool. Critically mocked, but who cares, they've written some great songs. From pre-Boy singles upto Miracle Drug.

Have they recently released an album? I lost track.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson:shropshire lad:

Nick

.Have they recently released an album? I lost track.

I dunno, mate. The last song of theirs that I liked, was that slow one that was about Bono's Dad. Black and white video with Bono in a hoodie. It's probably five or six years ago. Can't remember it's name, though. Anyone help me out?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts