TX-P50GT50 exchange for 50VT50??

Page 16 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Pindi

Nov 21, 2008
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
Pindi said:
All this talk about problems with Panasonic TVs is really putting me off. I might end up going for the F8500 instead... :?

You'd be trading Panasonic problems for Samsung problems. The trick is working out which problems are easiest to live with; or which issues bother you least.

The best you can do is brush up on manufacturer specific problems, audition, and buy from an understanding retailer.

Panasonic = mild-to-major uniformity problems and 50 Hz motion issues, even on this year's sets, though these problems are not so glaringly obvious this year.

Samsung = brightness pops, less impressive black levels, and new this year a horizontal band near the top of the screen.

These problems probably won't rear their respective ugly heads at the TPS event. Decisions, decisions...

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
civilian said:
How's you set starpped? Iv been so in to my own issues i forgot to ask..

I'd like to say it's perfect, but there are a few small niggles.

My VT65 has mild vertical banding toward the far right edge of the screen. The bands are nothing like as prominent and distracting as on the GT50, but it's a real shame this issue isn't completely fixed. I'm hoping the bands will vanish with time, as any other issues are inherent to plasma technology (and mild) and therefore not worth complaining about in my opinion.

This is why I think you should keep your VT50. If you've got zero issues with screen uniformity, you're in a small minority and should only switch if a problem develops.

I still think the VT65 is an exceptional TV and I'm considerably happier with it than I was with the GT50. The positives greatly outweight the negatives.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
Panasonic = mild-to-major uniformity problems and 50 Hz motion issues, even on this year's sets, though these problems are not so glaringly obvious this year.

Samsung = brightness pops, less impressive black levels, and new this year a horizontal band near the top of the screen.

From experience of my Samsung PS64D8000 plasma bought in March 2012 , I can confirm the brightness pops with some material (eg very near the beginning of Blade Runner, when the various actors' names appear and fade away in turn) and a black level that is certainly not as good as my Pioneer LX5090 (now in the second bedroom).

From experience of the LG 60PZ950T plasma in my kitchen since August 2012, let me add:

LG = no uniformity problems, no motion handling problems, no brightness pops, lovely neutral colours, quite bright for a plasma, and desktop stands that swivel, unlike those of Panasonic and some Samsungs. BUT when material does not fill the screen, like for Blu-Rays and DVDs, it becomes more obvious that the black level is mediocre, despite the TruBlack filter and boasting THX certification.

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
strapped for cash said:

From experience of my Samsung PS64D8000 plasma bought in March 2012 , I can confirm the brightness pops with some material (eg very near the beginning of Blade Runner, when the various actors' names appear and fade away in turn) and a black level that is certainly not as good as my Pioneer LX5090 (now in the second bedroom).

From experience of my kitchen LG 60PZ950T plasma since August 2012, let me add:

LG = no uniformity problems, no motion handling problems, no brightness pops, lovely neutral colours and quite bright for a plasma BUT when material does not fill the screen, like for Blu-Rays and DVDs, the black level can be seen to be mediocre, despite the TruBlack filter..

As I say, it's really a question of choosing a TV with the most tolerable flaws. To me, LG's poor black level is a deal breaker.

I remain stunned that a 5090 can be relegated to a second bedroom! :grin:

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
strapped for cash said:
As I say, it's really a question of choosing a TV with the most tolerable flaws. To me, LG's poor black level is a deal breaker.

I remain stunned that a 5090 can be relegated to a second bedroom! :grin:

Hello strapped,

Indeed, each buyer has to consider the TV flaws that are acceptable to that particular buyer. Over the last ten years the TV that I have tended to watch the most has been whichever one was in the kitchen, and apart from the Samsung they've all done kitchen duty. I note your comment about LG's poor black level being a deal breaker for you. Yeah well, once upon a time in my evangelical and zealous past (oh, about a year ago) I might have agreed. And the TV that immediately preceded the dodgy-black-level LG in the kitchen was the formerly-reference-black-level LX5090, so the contrast in black level when the change was made was noticeable. But, time passes, and I'm getting mellow deep into my middle age, and even after using the Spears and Munsil calibration disc the LG is quite bright, and it's 10" bigger than the Pioneer, with Freeview HD, and a poor black level is not so obvious when the picture fills the screen, as in normal TV broadcasts rather than when playing Blu-Rays ....

All that said, when I come into decent money my next television will be the almost-reference-black-level-apart-from-the-ZT65 Pansonic 65VT65, and all my existing TVs will each get shunted down one room. The LX5090 is in the second bedroom because for the time being it won't quite fit into mine. But when I get the Panasonic I'll be motivated to make the tedious shelving adjustments that will enable the LX5090 to fit into my bedroom, and I'm very much looking forward to that.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts