TV stand / Gear rack

pba_target

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Hey all. Dilemma of the month.

I'm having big issues in my new pad (space is a problem!)

I tried popping my onkyo 3007, cyrus dac x, mono x's and ps3 in a handy sized double doored cabinet that came with my room, with my tv plonked on top. Cue inevitable massive overheating issues! I've taken out the cyrus gear and plonked it on top either side of the tv, which has solved the hifi overheating issue, but looks sub-optimal. However, even with that done the onk is still running to hot, and squirrels are starting to appear in the machine as it were. Added to that the ps3 runs with it's fan on "noisey but ineffective" the whole time. So, plan B!

Anyone got any suggestions for a tv stand that will fit an onk 3007 (the thing is pretty tall, and pretty deep) as well as my cyrus gear and not look totally rubbish? Budget is not exactly extensive at the moment, so to be honest I'll settle for any old piece of furniture, so long as it fits, and doesn't cause my gear to overheat!

Cheers!

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Save up and get a HiFi Racks Podium, either the Av version or 2 HiFI-width versions next to each other like we've done. The beauty of doing it this way is that you can get it made in custom leg lengths for no additional cost and arrange it how it best fits, and you can buy different sized legs or additional levels in the future if your gear changes, then as long as you get your sums right and your floor is level you have the choice of putting the TV either on top or mounting on the wall.

Speaking as someone who has bought several stands which were the best I could do on the 'budget of the moment' and therefore ended up changing several times, I would advise you to save up and get something that that will fit your needs perfectly and be adaptable for future needs. I'll bet it ends up saving money in the long run.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/your-system/my-system-before-and-after

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Dan Turner said:
Save up and get a HiFi Racks Podium, either the Av version or 2 HiFI-width versions next to each other like we've done. The beauty of doing it this way is that you can get it made in custom leg lengths for no additional cost and arrange it how it best fits, and you can buy different sized legs or additional levels in the future if your gear changes, then as long as you get your sums right and your floor is level you have the choice of putting the TV either on top or mounting on the wall.

Speaking as someone who has bought several stands which were the best I could do on the 'budget of the moment' and therefore ended up changing several times, I would advise you to save up and get something that that will fit your needs perfectly and be adaptable for future needs. I'll bet it ends up saving money in the long run.

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/your-system/my-system-before-and-after

Dan, if you don't mind me asking.....did you find any difference in sonic presentation by placing your kit on the Atacama vs the Podium. I ask as an owner of the former.

Apologies to OP for diversion, but it might possibly be of interest.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi CNE - I think that it made my system sound a bit smoother and tamed the bass a little, which ive always struggled to keep under control from these speakers in my room, but to be honest I can't be certain that I'm not imagining it, or that I put the speakers back in a slightly different position after redecorating.

If you're toying with getting a podium though I'd say go for it, you won't be disappointed!

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Dan Turner said:
Hi CNE - I think that it made my system sound a bit smoother and tamed the bass a little, which ive always struggled to keep under control from these speakers in my room, but to be honest I can't be certain that I'm not imagining it, or that I put the speakers back in a slightly different position after redecorating.

If you're toying with getting a podium though I'd say go for it, you won't be disappointed!

Thx DT, that is also what I've heard over the years, but wouldn't stake my life on it.

If the Podium had been available at the time I'd have gone for it, as I think wood makes a great base. ATM I have other priorities, but will tuck this advice away for a later date. :shifty:
:cheers:

Cno

pba_target

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Dan,

Cheers for that, I think I'm going to do exactly that. What dimensions did you go for in the end, and how do you find it for space?

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi pba,

I went for the standard podium reference size (400d*595w mm) which is perfect for normal sized hifi components and just about ok depth-wise for my Sony AV amp. The great thing about HiFi Racks is that they will make it in any custom size, so if you measured your AV amp and thought that 400mm isn't deep enough then you can specify a larger measurement (obviously at a premium). The legs are a mixture of lengths tailored to my kit. I think that the shortest they can do is 6.5cm. It took me a while to figure out the order of things, and where I could add a cm to the leg lengths of one shelf to balance it out without it being noticeable etc to get both stacks the same height.

From your perspective that is one potential disadvantage of getting 2 stacks tailor made to fit your gear - if you're sticking your TV on top then both stands will always need to be exactly the same height, which could make things extremely complicated if you change or add components in the future. You would avoid that by going for the podium xl av-width version I guess, but then you lose that flexibility.

Cheers

Dan

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts