Question PMC DB1 vs Harbeth P3ESR

• Thread starter Deleted member 108165
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 108165

As the title suggests.

Currently more than happy with the little PMC’s in my lounge, (anything bigger just becomes unruly with bass due to placement issues, plus I’m not that much of a bass-head anyway). But the little Harbeth’s are popping up on my radar and receive high praise for their voicing. Noticed that the specs for each speaker are slightly different:

PMC: 50Hz-25kHz

Harbeth: 75Hz-20kHz

Would I really notice the -25Hz from the low end and the -5kHz from the top end of the Harbeths? Could the LF be reinforced somewhat with closer wall proximity placement? The wall proximity trick seems to work with the PMC’s as I tried an experiment on Friday and pulled them away from the wall on stands and they became very anaemic so went back onto wall brackets pretty quickly, (seems I got the placement right four years ago). Not interested in adding a sub.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

gasolin

Nothing under 100-80hz and it will feel thin, not really feel like it can play deep bass, look at the difference at -10 db and at 30 hz (-25db and -13db)

1209PMCfig4.jpg

810Harfig3.jpg

Last edited:
You’ll find the DB1s a more exciting and lively sound compared to the Harbeths, it’s just comes down to your preference in your room. The PMCs will be an easier load too, but if you can drive the Harbeth’s well, you’ll find these a more neutral listen.
My main concern was they state easy to drive yet their own figures go against this.

D

Deleted member 108165

Gonna approach some dealers to see if I can get a home loan/rent for a week arrangement with them.

insider9

Mini monitor experience. Lovely for many things and useless for others. The depth of bass will not be there. 40-80Hz is an octave. My Red Rose Rosebuds were like this and that's why I ended going for floorstanders.

You did the best you could by arranging home dem. Keep us posted really curious of your findings.

D

Deleted member 108165

Looks like I could be chasing a rainbow due to time/work commitment as the current model is being replaced. There is a new model out priced at £2495, a little too rich for my pocket

D

Deleted member 108165

You shouldn't forget that you have the godl version which may make a diffrence on the sound quality over the regular version and if you sell them.
Appreciated Gasolin, but I would give the DB1's to my sister so no cash from selling.

D

Deleted member 108165

Mini monitor experience. Lovely for many things and useless for others. The depth of bass will not be there. 40-80Hz is an octave. My Red Rose Rosebuds were like this and that's why I ended going for floorstanders.

You did the best you could by arranging home dem. Keep us posted really curious of your findings.
Point taken. You're more of a head-banger, I'm more of a get down and boogie kinda guy :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts