TV Shootout: Panasonic CZ950, LG EF950V OLED, ZT Plasma

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
ellisdj said:
For the oleds to be voted best on brighter whites they must have been calibrated brighter than the ZT is what I was getting at

If you read any of the reviews on HDTVtest, when Mr Vincent Teoh calibrates televisions he normally pegs the peak brightness to 120 cd/m2, I presume precisely to counter any subjective advantage that an inherently brighter screen might have over a darker screen.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
If that is the case then how can the oled have a brighter white?

It maybe appears brighter coming off a blacker background because I thought they would all be setup the same. That part seemed odd in the reasoning behind voting decision

Shawn84

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
gel said:
Series1boy said:
Series1boy said:
Here we go:

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/shootout-oled-201511134208.htm

this efin forum is terrible at posting links!
Cheers for the link.  I wonder what HDTV fan thinks to it?  *smile*
Hi. I was lurking and decided to comment.

IMO, Plasma is still better from what i've seen. It doesn't make sense to claim OLED has taken over Plasma when said Plasmas are still superior at important PQ aspects besides mll. I have a 151 and 101FD kuro and there's simply no way i would trade either for an OLED in its current state. I would be making sacrifices in PQ. Not to mention a more analog looking picture.

I think they should of had a kuro there also. The ZT doesn't get too bright because of the filter and the kuro has a black level advantage still.

So yeah, OLED is definitely great and shows promise, but it still isn't completely there yet. The attendees votes don't change this fact.

D

Deleted member 2457

Shawn84 said:
gel said:
Series1boy said:
Series1boy said:
Here we go:

Cheers for the link. I wonder what HDTV fan thinks to it? *smile*

IMO, Plasma is still better from what i've seen. It doesn't make sense to claim OLED has taken over Plasma when said Plasmas are still superior at important PQ aspects besides mll. I have a 151 and 101FD kuro and there's simply no way i would trade either for an OLED in its current state. I would be making sacrifices in PQ. Not to mention a more analog looking picture.

I think they should of had a kuro there also. The ZT doesn't get too bright because of the filter and the kuro has a black level advantage still.

So yeah, OLED is definitely great and shows promise, but it still isn't completely there yet. The attendees votes don't change this fact.
Pioneer TVs are definitely still up there if a little old now. Glad you posted, cheers.

tele1962

Mar 5, 2014
Visit site
Looks like OLED is at last getting it's act together.

Just been reading Gordon Fraser's comments, he thinks the Panny is the best TV ever.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Shawn84 said:

Oh dear, you'll be upsetting one forum member by saying the sentence that I've highlighted .......!

Shawn84 said:
I think they should of [sic] had a kuro there also. The ZT doesn't get too bright because of the filter and the kuro has a black level advantage still.

Or failing laying hands on a Kuro, perhaps a Panasonic 65VT65 rather than the 60ZT65. The ZT plasma's extra filter is not always an advantage. I can't speak for the ZT65, but certainly I can confirm that the black level of my Panasonic 65VT65 is similar, but not better than, the black level of my Pioneer LX5090. Neither of them will ever leave my flat for as long as they are still working.

Shawn84

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
gel said:
Shawn84 said:
gel said:
Series1boy said:
Series1boy said:
Here we go:

Cheers for the link.  I wonder what HDTV fan thinks to it?  *smile*

Pioneer TVs are definitely still up there if a little old now.  Glad you posted, cheers.  

Going on 7 years now, but the picture hasn't aged a bit.

I was hoping Panasonic would come with the ultimate OLED but there's not much they can really do using LG's Panel. Sort of like OLED is stuck until more manufactures start building their own. I would like to see something other than WOLED used too. Looking forward to seeing what Samsung and Sony does.

Shawn84

Nov 13, 2015
Visit site
Son_of_SJ said:
Shawn84 said:

Oh dear, you'll be upsetting one forum member by saying the sentence that I've highlighted .......!
I don't see why, the proof is in the pudding, as the saying goes. Many have not see a properly setup kuro.

Shawn84 said:
I think they should of [sic] had a kuro there also. The ZT doesn't get too bright because of the filter and the kuro has a black level advantage still.

Or failing laying hands on a Kuro, perhaps a Panasonic 65VT65 rather than the 60ZT65. The ZT plasma's extra filter is not always an advantage. I can't speak for the ZT65, but certainly I can confirm that the black level of my Panasonic 65VT65 is similar, but not better than, the black level of my Pioneer LX5090. Neither of them will ever leave my flat for as long as they are still working.

The VT65 equals the 60" kuros for black level, but remember the 50" 500m and 101FD gets lower at 0.0005 mll. A tweaked kuro gets even darker at 0.0001ftl.

But yeah if not a kuro a VT65 could of worked better than the ZT since there would be no filter to fight for brightness.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts