TV, Cinema & Hifi setup

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi Guys can you please provide some guidance on what is no doubt a common problem. I currently use have a samsung tv and dvd player linked to a humax hd freesat box. Sound is taken from the tv via two rca phono leads to an old (non HDMI) Sony receiver with Tangent speakers and a MJ centre. It works but I want to upgrade the receiver to a better HDMI equipped receiver. I was under the impression that HDMI carried both sound and vision so I hoping I could just use four HDMI leads in total to connect all the kit. Confused further because your buyers guide has some receivers not able to use HDMI for sound and others more expensive that do employ HDMI for both sound and vision! Some contributors also indicate I need to use digital coaxial as well as HDMI? I also read that some recommend that the Humax should be connected to the TV and others that all kit should be connected via the HDMI receiver? Presumably this means that the receiver is always powered - is this OK?

For my new setup so far I have worked out (correctly?)

DVD player HDMI out to the HDMI in on the TV

Humax Freesat HDMI out to the HDMI in on the new Receiver

TV HDMI out to HDMI in on the new Receiver (speakers etc will connect to the receiver as normal)

Is this correct and will I need any other connections eg digital coaxial (or optical) for sound between the dvd player/humax & the receiver.

Really I hope you can help because I am getting more confused as I research the subject!

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
pej1122: DVD player HDMI out to the HDMI in on the TV

No, DVD HDMI out to Receiver HDMI in.

Humax Freesat HDMI out to the HDMI in on the new Receiver

Sounds ok.

TV HDMI out to HDMI in on the new Receiver (speakers etc will connect to the receiver as normal)

No, I don't know of a TV that even has an HDMI out. Of course if you mean Receiver HDMI out to TV HDMI in then you'd be perfectly correct...

Is this correct and will I need any other connections eg digital coaxial (or optical) for sound between the dvd player/humax & the receiver.

Not for the the DVD player, you'd have to check if the Humax can output Dolby Digital 5.1 over HDMI, Sky can't, but that doesn't mean anything to you, if the Humax can't then you'd need a digital connection between the Humax and the Receiver.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks for the quick response. I have noted your comments which have really helped. Regarding the last point I have checked with the manual for the Foxsat HD box and it offers three ways to connect a tv. 1) use HDMI to connect Humax to TV 2) Using a DVI Connector (when equipped with an AV receiver) Humax HDMI out to TV HDMI in and connect via DVI convertor (Samsung has his connection on the back of the TV) and use a S/PDIF cable. The 3) option No AV which is not relevant in my case. The appendix at the end of the manual states Dolby Digital 5.1 and a low frequency LFR channel is included providing the sound needed for special effects. Is this S/PDIF the digital connection you mention in your reply and will this be the only additiional connection I need to complete the system?

Kind RegardsPeter

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
pej1122:
Many thanks for the quick response. I have noted your comments which have really helped. Regarding the last point I have checked with the manual for the Foxsat HD box and it offers three ways to connect a tv. 1) use HDMI to connect Humax to TV 2) Using a DVI Connector (when equipped with an AV receiver) Humax HDMI out to TV HDMI in and connect via DVI convertor (Samsung has his connection on the back of the TV) and use a S/PDIF cable. The 3) option No AV which is not relevant in my case.

Actually none of those are relevant to you, just take the HDMI from the Humax directly to the amp. I don't find TV manuals are much use for this sort of setup.

The appendix at the end of the manual states Dolby Digital 5.1 and a low frequency LFR channel is included providing thesound needed for special effects. Is this S/PDIF the digital connection you mention in your reply

Yes.

and will this be the only additiional connection I need to complete the system?

Well this still depends on whether the Humax will pass the Dolby Digital signal out the HDMI socket, assuming it will then you won't need any other connection, the other digital cable is only required if, like SkyHd, the box can't pass DD through HDMI.

daveh75

the_lhc:pej1122:
and will this be the only additiional connection I need to complete the system?

Well this still depends on whether the Humax will pass the Dolby Digital signal out the HDMI socket, assuming it will then you won't need any other connection, the other digital cable is only required if, like SkyHd, the box can't pass DD through HDMI.

Like Sky boxes,the Humax only outputs stereo over HDMI. So you will also need an optical connection.

A

Anonymous

Many thanks guys with your help I think I have sorted this out and now feel able to shop with confidence for a new receiver.

Cheers Peter

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts