TV Awards

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Yes, it was pretty clear-cut this year, with Panasonic on a roll and producing consistently excellent sets. Not something we could say of some of its competitors.

A

Anonymous

I was sure they would scoop top marks, the picture quality of my Panasonic is head an shoulders above the Samsung plasma I owned last year, I for one
don't see me changing my TV for a while.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
bigboss said:
Not a single award for Sony TVs......& Sony has decided to abstain from Sound & Vision show.....mere coincidence?

Yes.

After all, bear in mind that:
a) Sony didn't know it hadn't won any TV awards until just over two weeks ago, and room bookings for the show were made yonks back
b) We don't run the Manchester Show, but are merely the headline sponsors
c) Your question is predicated on Sony having made a positive decision not to exhibit at the show: I gather its absence is more down to a failure of organisation, plus a significant member of staff having had a long period of leave through illness (he's fully recovered now, thank goodness). So it's a matter of decisions not being made, rather than being made.

Nice conspiracy theory though, doc...

tvspecv

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
a little question for the team the Panasonic PT-AT5000E if it were placed just above your head how well could you hear it and if it were placed just above your head do the 3d glasses still synchorize with it ?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Can't help you with the first point, beyond the fact that Panasonic quotes 22dB in eco mode, which is likely to be well below the noise floor in most normal rooms.

The projector's built-in infrared transmitter has a range of around 6m; if there are problems with infrared synchronisation you can add on an optional ET-TRM110 infrared transmitter.

This has a range of around 10m, and comes with a 15m cable and mounting accessories so it can be installed in 'line of sight' of the glasses.

et-trm110.jpg

tvspecv

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
so does this mean that if the projector is just above my head i wont able to connect to the projector? :? i will be about 2.9 metres from the screen is that to close?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No if the projector is right above your head I am sure you'll be fine. And at that distance you'll be getting an image between 60in and 120in, depending on zoom setting.

tvspecv

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
i`m gonna stick with plasma 65-inch this video has really put me off the projector

EDITED BY MODS – yet again, please don't link to sites containing offensive language

and i dont want a dlp

StanleyAV

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I find it incredulous that What Hifi continues to give Panasonic awards for product excellence,
without factoring in their aftersales service which is apalling. |(
Moreover, the 2011 range has technical issues blighting its performance, no mention of this in your
reviews or awards issue. :?

I am into month 14 (yes you heard right!) of my problems with an inherent fault of their flagship
Z1 model. Getting Panasonic UK to honour their warranty commitment to me, is worse than
having teeth extracted! :(

They still want me to jump through hoops via an inspection process before they will process an
exchange. So no apologies for their lacklustre customer support over this torturous ownership
period; I reported problems back in November 2010. Their own customer support team has even
disowned me and has ceased communication with me.

While a refund or exchange is on the table, the executive assigned to me their by their
European CEO has yet to action any of this to bring things to a satisfactory close!! :O

Moving on to the technical problems that the 2011 range has : panel uniformity problems (green
blobs) and floating brightness issues : your awards reviews make no mention of these irksome
issues : which is rather odd given their prominence on Panasonic's Facebook discussion board
and their own Czech plant's investigation into these issues! :?
It seems likely that Panasonic ensures you have good samples to review and not representative
production samples of their TVs. :O

Can we please have more balanced reporting of products? That way customers
can make an informed decision on whether to risk purchasing from such brands.
You did cite issues with the flagship Sony TVs and that is highly commendable.
smiley-laughing.gif

We do need to know the real situation when it comes to aftersales too.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
StanleyAV said:
I find it incredulous that What Hifi continues to give Panasonic awards for product excellence,
without factoring in their aftersales service which is apalling. |(
Moreover, the 2011 range has technical issues blighting its performance, no mention of this in your
reviews or awards issue. :?

I am into month 14 (yes you heard right!) of my problems with an inherent fault of their flagship
Z1 model. Getting Panasonic UK to honour their warranty commitment to me, is worse than
having teeth extracted! :(

They still want me to jump through hoops via an inspection process before they will process an
exchange. So no apologies for their lacklustre customer support over this torturous ownership
period; I reported problems back in November 2010. Their own customer support team has even
disowned me and has ceased communication with me.

While a refund or exchange is on the table, the executive assigned to me their by their
European CEO has yet to action any of this to bring things to a satisfactory close!! :O

Moving on to the technical problems that the 2011 range has : panel uniformity problems (green
blobs) and floating brightness issues : your awards reviews make no mention of these irksome
issues : which is rather odd given their prominence on Panasonic's Facebook discussion board
and their own Czech plant's investigation into these issues! :?
It seems likely that Panasonic ensures you have good samples to review and not representative
production samples of their TVs. :O

Can we please have more balanced reporting of products? That way customers
can make an informed decision on whether to risk purchasing from such brands.
You did cite issues with the flagship Sony TVs and that is highly commendable.
smiley-laughing.gif

We do need to know the real situation when it comes to aftersales too.

I must add that this is your experience and not indicative of the tens of thousands or very happy customers Panasonic have. We have always found the aftersales support to be class leading and that is why we continue to deal with them. The warranty issue is with your retailer so the gripe you have should be with them IMO.

I imagine that we see more TV's than What Hi-Fi and so far we have a below average faulty as new report and only one return for a very random issue.

I also have hand on experience with many many products and the information that What Hi-Fi supply is very similar to that you would hear from my team in store. The reporting of the last three years is a very good base to make judgements in conjunction with a demonstration and other advice.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts