TV advice please - LG LH5000 v Sony KDL40S5500

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've been on the look out for a tv for a while, came close to buying one a few weeks ago but just had to wait for the results of the what hifi 40-42 super test in August.

The LG LH5000 is retailing for £699 at Currys - but would only come with the standard 12 mths guarantee. Neither John Lewis or Richer Sounds sell this model

Whereas the Sony 40S5500 is £550 at richer sounds (with the option of getting a 5 year guarantee) - this is £749 at John Lewis, maybe able to get them to price match.

What should I do? Any help would be appreciated

A

Anonymous

go to richer sounds , sony 40w5500 £749.95 or panasonic 42g10 plasma £769 a 5 year warranty can be got for 10% on top of list price , both tvs are much better than either of the two you mentioned ...

A

Anonymous

Don't forget that the Sony has a 3 year warranty from Sony themselves - how much are you prepared to pay for an extra 2 years on that?

I am considering both these sets for our second TV upstairs (after we return our flickering new Panasonic 42X10B plasma - see my thread).

The sony is a little workmanlike, but to my eyes (in the shop) the LG is a lovely rich picture, but a tacky set overall. Check if anybody locally will do a deal on the Sony with the old set trade-in (£100 off). £550 is a lot less than you can get the LG. I just find it too much like a plastic toy.

Many shops will match offers if you just ask. It's not cheeky. They can only say no. It is an online world and this area is very competitive at the moment. Whatever happened to these 30% price increases on Japanese & particularly Sony sets?)

A

Anonymous

didnt realise sony gave a standard 3 year warranty , i wonder if the old tv exchange deal only applies to sony centres ?

A

Anonymous

No, but it does have to be a participating store. A shop in Chesterfield not too far from me has a 46WE5 for £1199.99 with the trade in. Considering it myself (for our main lounge TV). Sony Centres are soo expensive, but you can haggle - just be casual. Ask if they will price match. At the end of the day they want a sale.

A

Anonymous

I'm a big Sony fan and am beginning to edge towards the cheaper basic model (40S5500). John Lewis in Sheffield are participating in the £100 tv trade in scheme - asked someone there and he told me they would accept any tv (got a redundant 14" portable to offload). I wonder if I could get them to price match Richer Sounds plus accept the trade-in - would bring the price to £450.

I'm looking to spend as little as possible, technology is changing all the time, can't see any value in splashing out £800 on a tv.

Thanks for the advice, looks like I'll be popping back into JL tomorrow.

A

Anonymous

if your into watching sports then a tv with 100hz would be a better bet , if you want sony then the w series is where 100hz starts...

A

Anonymous

The colours did seem to be an issue for the what hifi team in their review, but then again we are talking about the lower end of the market.

Does 100hz make a huge difference, would it be worth digging deeper and finding the extra cash?

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
the lh5000 is 200.if you want 100hz go for he lh4000.the colours on the lg are nice.but just as a suggestion, try to compare 2 lgs , one 42 inch other 47 inch.see if you notice the sides of the screen much darker than the middle on the 42 inch model...I always notice that on the new lg's. the 47 inch doesn't seem to suffer from it, for me that side darkness makes the whole difference.i notice it on the 42 and 37 inch models

A

Anonymous

That is a very interesting observation about the LGs. I will have a look for that.

The Sony S is rather basic (I looked at one this weekend and on the very poor RF signal there was very noticeble panning judder - which put me right off).

Buying a new TV at the moment seems to be simply about what flaw you are willing to put up with (at any price).

Don't judge a TV by the bright showroom conditions. We did that, now we are awaiting it's collection and our refund.....

A

Anonymous

buying a tv is proving really difficult - you find a model and a whole series of flaws appear. I'd love to pick a few tv's take them home and test them before making my mind up - unfortunately this is not possible. I can see myself keeping my Sony 32" CRT until it finally stops working and I'm forced to buy a replacement.

It's really difficult to form an opinion by watching a tv in a shop, which will normally be displaying a blu-ray movie. There are also too many tv's out there to choose from, which adds to the confusion.

not sure what to do, may just have to take a risk and buy the 1st tv that I like.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
at least at a store, tv's side by side displaying the same movie, you are able to compare them. the lg's 37 and 42 definitively suffer from screen uneveness.check cnet.com lh30 model equivalent oh the lh3000.Iv'e seen the lh4000 and lh5000 and they share the same panel.

A

Anonymous

I am put off both the models in this thread for our second TV. They both have problems I consider to be deal-breakers. The LG panel brightness variation is cetainly something to be aware off. There are others on the net who have seen this problem. I am still not really sure if LG make consitent TVs that last. I still think they look cheap (as well as bright and alluring in shops).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts