Turntable with cinema amp and 5.1 speakers.Will it work?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, not very knowlegable with turntables. But would a turntable for £200/300 sound good through my yamaha RX-V667 cinema amp. Also ive got kef 2005.3k2 5.1 cinema package. I have an ipod dock running through but i know the quality of vinly will excell above compressed music or cd. Like a lively sounding deck which i can use straight out of the box. Any suggestions or advice please. Plan to build a vinly collection( A new hobby) sourcing good quality 70/80s music! Is it correct just a phono L&R to the amp from deck for connection?

Thanks Guys Daz

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No phono stage in the Yamaha, so you'll either need a turntable with a built-in phono stage, such as the Project Debut Phono SB (which will be just beyond the upper limit of your budget), or a budget turntable such as the Pro-ject Genie (around £200) or Rega RP1 (£225) plus a phono stage to plug between it and the Yamaha (for which you should budget around £100 or so).

Whether it will be worth doing will be a matter of having a listen for yourself, although I probably wouldn't bother: I think the amp and speakers, good though they are for home cinema, may prove the limiting factor, and I'd hate you to spend all that money and think 'Is this what all the fuss is about?'.

But yes, it can be done.

A

Anonymous

Just noticed on back of my amp that it has L&R phono input and GND screw. Does this mean i will need a phono amp then or can i plug in the likes of RP1 rega or project 3 straight in with phono cable. It looks like the US version shows no phono inputs on some models of the Yamaha RX-V667 strange that!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Indeed: the manual I hauled up to check before posting turns out to have been for a version made for other markets, which doesn't have a phono stage. Apologies.

OK, so you'll be able to use the likes of the Genie or RP1 with the Yamaha without needing an external phono stage, but although I (obviously!) haven't tried the Yamaha with a turntable my comments stand re the receiver and speakers probably being a limiting factor.

I'd definitely suggest trying before you buy.

A

Anonymous

I know this question is half in the wrong category but someone in hifi suggested that to use a turntable though this av amp i would need a phono amp between the av and deck! But the yamaha has L&R phono inputs. Won't a turntable just plug in with L&R audio cables and off i go! CONFUSED! Iv'e also noticed some countries dont have phono inputs on this same amp mine does though HELP! Thanks daz

A

Anonymous

Thanks andrew your help has made a lot of sense to me now! Cheers!

Just one thing though. The yamaha ipod dock im using through the amp sounds impressive with the ipod so im sure a turntable certainly shouldn't dissapoint at all. My local hifi dealer richer sounds dont really do demos so sometimes i go on several reviews for decisions and tests! I understand bigger speakers will give much larger soundstage but space determined the cinema setup! Would love to build a vinyl collection as a hobby!

all the best mate thanks for your advise Darren

entrails

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I was in the same situation of not having room for a separate A/v and hifi system.

I changed from playing vinyl on a project debut through an old Denon UD-70 system to using a budget 5.1 setup Marantz SR5003 with small Mordaunt Short speaker package and was hugely disappointed by the sound qualkity which was very tinny. Using pure and source direct made no difference at all but getting larger front speakers Mezzo 1's combined with using my old huge Mission sub did lead to the sound quality greatly improving and surpassing the Denon all in one.

So if you cant work on the front speakers I would say forget it. If you are able to you upgrade will get a lot of fun out of vinyl despite it not sounding as good as it could do on a dedicated system. At a later point you could then add an integrated amp combined with the A/V for the front speakers to get a lot more out of the vinyl.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts