Turntable running slow

Robdespy

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Hey, wondering if anyone can help? I've recently got an acoustic research turntable - think it's 'the legend'. I bought a new belt for it as it didn't come with one, as far as I can tell it seems to be the correct one but records are playing really slowly. I'm completely new to vinyl and know nothing beyond what I could google (and not sure how much that really helped to be honest!).

Wondering what is causing this, is the belt possibly too big? Too small? Something more serious e.g. the motor? I've seen suggestions of cleaning the motor and bearings etc which I'll do but I suspect this won't solve it as seems to slow for this to be likely to make a real difference. Just a bit gutted really that my first foray in to vinyl seems to be going so wrong!

Any help much appreciated

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

It sounds like it's the motor/bearing to me. Is it playing at a consistently slow speed, or is it varying?

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
It seems like it can only be a case of motor and /or bearings....unless the power supply is knackered. I'm not sure how the psu works on this turntable, but I know that my Linn tables suffer from psu issues. Try googling power supply for your tt to see if there are any known issues.

Robdespy

Apr 17, 2014
Visit site
Just in case this helps anybody. I took it all apart, cleaned it, lubricated relevant parts and now it works like a dream. Have to give it a little spin to help the motor along which is kind of satisfying but enjoying it a lot. Thanks to my those that posted helpful responses.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

Well done. You're obviously quite handy, so I trust you used the correct oil, and not some Castrol GTX or 3 in 1 oil? *wink*

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Robdespy said:
Just in case this helps anybody. I took it all apart, cleaned it, lubricated relevant parts and now it works like a dream. Have to give it a little spin to help the motor along which is kind of satisfying but enjoying it a lot. Thanks to my those that posted helpful responses.

Great news. Just goes to show, sometimes a fix can be quite basic
thumbs_up.gif

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I tried one of this rpm apps, not expecting to be impressed. Just under 32.6 on the Ariston, a dab of oil, quick realignment of the horrible 'square' belt and what do you know, bang on 33rpm. Not bad for a 35 year old deck!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts