Turntable Placement

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
photostream

OK as most regular posters (Bretty, LostAngeles, Floyd Droid) will know I do not have ideal set-up due to space constraints in current listening area.

The attached picture shows my current layout and I was thinking about making the following changes.......moving the speaker to the next shelf up and then moving the turntable onto the second shelf on its own with the amps and CD staying on the bottom shelf but more centralised.

The second shelf is 2cm thick MDF and I am worried that this may play havoc with the sound of the turntable........If I was to place a glass shelf from my stored hi ontop of the shelf and then sit the turntable on the glass shelf....what that make a difference??

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Jason36 said:
photostream

OK as most regular posters (Bretty, LostAngeles, Floyd Droid) will know I do not have ideal set-up due to space constraints in current listening area.

The attached picture shows my current layout and I was thinking about making the following changes.......moving the speaker to the next shelf up and then moving the turntable onto the second shelf on its own with the amps and CD staying on the bottom shelf but more centralised.

The second shelf is 2cm thick MDF and I am worried that this may play havoc with the sound of the turntable........If I was to place a glass shelf from my stored hi ontop of the shelf and then sit the turntable on the glass shelf....what that make a difference??

That photo appears to be set to "private".

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
No worries, looking at the bowing on those shelves you might struggle to get the turntable totally level, which is going to be an issue. A glass shelf might help in that but it'll just be adding weight onto a shelf that doesn't look all that strong.

I might be inclined to leave things as they are, unless it's causing you difficulties.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
hmmm know what you mean.

Its ok where it is at the moment....I think other half wants to make it look less cluttered and also it would make it easier to get to the Turntable when playing LP's and changing them......

I'm thinking possibly a dedicated turntable wall mount attached to the chimney breast (no fire and not used) to the left of the setup.

Its just a pain in the bum not being able to set it up prrperly on dedicated stands.......I really dont like having the pre / power and CD stacked ontop of each other :(

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Jason36 said:
Its just a pain in the bum not being able to set it up prrperly on dedicated stands.......I really dont like having the pre / power and CD stacked ontop of each other :(

It's not ideal granted, will the other components sit next to each other if you move them to the shelf above? Then you can move the TT to the middle of the bottom shelf.

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Not all individually......the pre / power amps would still have to sit one on top of the other and then the CDP would sit next to them...trouble is obviously they are very heavy compared to the turntable and that could cause problems on that shelf....going to have a play around later tonight and see what I can do.

The other concern is that room they are set up in is a dining room (which is where I work during the day).....so the speakers at the moment are at ear height, when I am sat on a dining table chair. If I move the speakers to the shelf above they will be 6foot from the floor and firing above my head.......Grrr

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Jason,

How are your handyman skills? If that was my setup I would strengthen the shelves , which could be done in a couple of ways . Either, double up the mdf by adding an extra layer effectively making each shelf 40mm thick or, the way I would do it , is to *** down to your local DIY shed or builders merchant and get some architrave(design to be decided by yourself) and fix that to the front of the shelf . In addition I would add extra strength underneath by fixing 2x1 battens to the mdf . Well , to be honest if it were mine I'd build it all in oak , but that is probably not on the cards for you .

I would also strengthen the shelf supports .

As for siting of the hifi equipment , again if it was mine , I would keep the turntable on the bottom shelf as that is going to be the most stable and probably sit it on something like an Isokinetik Isodek IF-1 . I would move the other equipment up onto the next shelf and keep the speaker where it is . The top shelf can be left for the other half's nick-nacks ! I can't tell you if the sound quality will be any better as I don't know much about that sort of thing , but your turntable will look better if it is in the middle of the shelf and not squashed up in one corner .

Of course , if the other half doesn't approve of such measures then you're cream crackered then . Maybe she would benefit from a spot of re-educating !

Nick

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the replies to this........

I have now had a rejig and the turntable has been moved up to the second shelf.....the weight of the pre / power amplifiers and CD would have been too much weight.

However and probably not surprisingly the truntable does sound a lot better sat on its own with free space around it.....I think an isolation platform will be next on the shopping list for the future. It's also a lot easier to get to the turntable for playing and turning LP's over.

All in all a very productive morning really and the other half is happy as well and even commented that it looked better.

bretty

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
I missed this thread. sorry mate.

I can't see any of your piccies, Jase. Might be cos of the forum switchover. Chuck another one up mate; I wanna have a nose
smiley-smile.gif

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
bretty said:
I missed this thread. sorry mate.

I can't see any of your piccies, Jase. Might be cos of the forum switchover. Chuck another one up mate; I wanna have a nose
smiley-smile.gif

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5299/5537117671_afa7f33e5d.jpg

Here ya go Bretty...not sure if it has worked cos I have to disable Rich Text Format:)

Jason36

Jul 23, 2008
Visit site
bretty said:
thanks Cheb.

Yeah, that looks better, Jase.

Yeah thanks for that Chebby :)

Yeah it's a lot better Bretty....The turntable is a lot easier to access as well. Still not 100% happy but its the best I can get and do at the moment with the space I have available.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts