Turntable in digital system

lbafsaj

Feb 28, 2008
Visit site
My system is now all digital. I stream from a NAS to my Cyrus Stream XPDQX. I'd like to add a turntable but my Cyrus is digital inputs only. Any suggestions what I can do, without having to use a analogue to digital converter ?

Ivek

Jul 24, 2014
Visit site
As I understand it goes NAS -> Cyrus Stream XPDQX -> poweramp -> loudspeakers. So You have several options:

1) passive preamp

2) phono preamp with digital output

3) digital recorders with analog inputs and digital outputs

4) analog to digital converter

5) audio router/switcher with volume control.

If You opted for using no ADC, You would choose 1 and 5

iMark

For option 3 you could buy a second hand Minidisc deck with digital out. You obviously would still need a preamp.

I use a second hand Sony MDS-JE 520 as ADC for recording to the digital in of an old MacBook.

I don't think you could connect a turntable with USB output directly to the USB port of the Cyrus. Would be a nice feature though.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
I've just checked out the Cyrus XPDQX and according to the Cyrus website it has six analogue inputs. This being the case all you need is a phono preamp.

Porknocker

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
I have my turntable indirectly plugged into my Caiman MKII DAC. I bought an ADC from eBay, which is connected to one of the LINE monitoring output on my amp. The truntable is plugged into the PHONO input on the amp. The TOSLINK output of the ADC is connected to my DAC. The LINE output from the DAC is then fed back into another LINE monitoring input on my amp.
But these type of amps are not made anymore. Modern day amps don't seem to have LINE monitoring outputs and inputs. So for a modern day setup I would do the following:

Turntable -> phono preamp -> ADC with TOSLINK output -> DAC -> amplifier

iMark

Porknocker said:
So for a modern day setup I would do the following:

Turntable -> phono preamp -> ADC with TOSLINK output -> DAC -> amplifier

Why would you convert the analogue signal from the preamp to digital and then back to analogue? An amp without analogue inputs is not very suitable for listening to a turntable.

Turntable -> phono preamp -> amplifier

Even more convenient is an integrated amp with a phono stage:

Turntable -> phono input amplifier

For digitizing our vinyl I do the following:

Turntable -> phono input amplifier -> tape out -> Minidisc deck as ADC -> Toslink - mini Toslink cable -> MacBook optical input.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
iMark said:
Why would you convert the analogue signal from the preamp to digital and then back to analogue? An amp without analogue inputs is not very suitable for listening to a turntable.

Perhaps not, but that's what the OP has, so telling him this isn't really answering his question.

ClarkNovember

May 24, 2009
Visit site
In terms of phono preamps with digital outputs:
Pro-Ject A/D Phono Box S
The Project website suggests this is built for the kind of purpose you are after. However there is a rather cryptic reference to the USB connection having to be active for the optical out to work... Quoting from their site:

But A/D Phono Box S has also other significant features: It allows to connect a turntable, tape deck or other source to devices which has no line input. Today some AVRs have only digital inputs and connecting of the turntable or tape deck seems to be impossible. The answer is A/D Phono Box S, which allows the connection of analogue devices via S/PDIF optical output. Optical output is only available, when USB connection is active.

Another thought is would something like: NAD PP4 phono preamp USB out > USB to optical converter > optical input work?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts