Turntable hum vanishes when I remove the ground wire!?!

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

Here's a new one: I was running some tests on my HiFi set up and i noticed that when I turn up my amp to a very high level there is an audible hum via my phonostage (as well as the hiss). Whilst checking my connections i removed the ground wire from the phonostage and to my amazement the hum vanished!

Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this? Does anyone have an explanation to why I wouldn't get a strong hum with a disconnected ground wire? And would it be really bad for any part of my system to run my turntable with out the ground connected?

Thanks

BCK

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It's fine. It means you had a ground loop somewhere in the system. No problem at all running the turntable with the grounding wire disconnected. Enjoy.

A

Anonymous

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the response. That's good news. Just out of interest what sort of thing would cause the ground loop? I recently replaced my cartridge with a Goldring 2500 (fantastic!!) would that be the culprit?

Cheers

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Something in the signal grounding of turntable, cartridge, amplifier, something else connected to the amplifier, you name it...

These things can be a pig to solve - consider yourself lucky it was so easily cured!

A

Anonymous

Black Crow King:
Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the response. That's good news. Just out of interest what sort of thing would cause the ground loop? I recently replaced my cartridge with a Goldring 2500 (fantastic!!) would that be the culprit?

Cheers

I got this hum when i put the linn adikt on my debut, but not the ortofon it came with so that would well be it.

couldn't solve it on mine though.

TRENDING THREADS