How to ground turntable when ground wire is spade, and amp is spring clipped?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I'm trying to set up my Rega Planar 3 with an amp that I have. The amp only has a spring clipped ground terminal:

DSC06495.JPG

..but the Rega is giving me a ground wire that is a spade:

DSC06492.JPG

Is there a way around this at all?

Cheers

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
You are showing the AM antenna connections. You need to find the earth/gnd for the turntable on your amp or phono pre-amp.

This must be a modified/rewired Rega - or a very old Rega - as the standard Planar 3 (back to late 1982 and the first RB300 arms) has no earthing lead.

Does your amp have a phono stage built-in? (Usually marked 'Phono' with a screw down earthing terminal very near the connections.)

What is the amp?

A

Anonymous

Hello,

Yeah, it's a very old Rega, early 80s if I remember. The plug socket for it only has neutral and line, and this earth wire comes along side the phono lead. There seems to be no phono stage built in on the amp.

The amp is a Sony str-de485e.

This is what the back looks like:

1120_5.jpg

Regards

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Back off any chassis screw and use that? A small washer may help too. Not sure u always need it earthed since the phono connection will do it but one way may give mains hum, an earth loop & the other not. Take advice from one more qualified than I before any hair raising experiences.

A

Anonymous

How can I be sure that my case/screws is/are earthed..?

Cheers

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
____aa said:
Hello,

I'm trying to set up my Rega Planar 3 with an amp that I have. The amp only has a spring clipped ground terminal:

DSC06495.JPG

Isn't the screw circled in green below the earth sign what you're looking for?

As mentioned try it without the earth lead first though.

I knew that was a Sony amp, spot that font a mile off...

Chebby is right as usual! There is no magnetic phono input because it looks like a Cinema amp so you'll need a phono pre-amp, and that will have a terminal for your ground lead.

There are cheapish Cambridge and Rega models suitable, and I can recommend the Rega one from personal experience.

A

Anonymous

The_Lhc said:
Isn't the screw circled in green below the earth sign what you're looking for?

As mentioned try it without the earth lead first though.

I knew that was a Sony amp, spot that font a mile off...

nopiano said:
Chebby is right as usual! There is no magnetic phono input because it looks like a Cinema amp so you'll need a phono pre-amp, and that will have a terminal for your ground lead.

There are cheapish Cambridge and Rega models suitable, and I can recommend the Rega one from personal experience.

Tried it without and it's buzzing and the singal is extremely weak and quiet. The screw below is just a screw to keep the back on (notice there's a similar screw next to the Digital input, below the Coaxial input, and next to the DVD input too).

You guys are right. And yeah, this is a cinema amp! I didn't even know. I'll look into a phono pre-amp. Appreciate the replies.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
The obvious clue is that there's no socket on the back labelled 'phono'. Like lots of amps today, they don't expect you to want to use a turntable with it, all the inputs are either digital or line-level.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts