New Rega P1 ground wire

neverminding

New member
Nov 16, 2016
1
0
0
Hello all. I've had a Music Hall MMF 5.1 turntable for about 15 years and it finally decided to call it quits. Purchased a new Rega P1 which arrived today and so far loving it.

However, one thing I noticed was the Rega has no ground wire. I've listened to a few records now and can definitely hear a slight hum, but not sure how to combat this. For full disclosure, the P1 is connected to a Pro-ject phono box MM, which goes to a NAD 350 and straight to cans (don't have my speakers setup in this apartment yet).

Thanks in advance for any help. Cheers!
 

chebby

Well-known member
Jun 2, 2008
1,253
26
19,220
After reading simlilar threads in the past (and recently) I think you are stuck with it.

Lots on the web ...

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=rega+rp1+hum+ground

Lots on this site ...

https://www.google.co.uk/?gws_rd=ssl#q=rega+rp1+hum+site:www.whathifi.com

If you are fortunate someone from Rega will spot this thread.

However, your first port-of-call - for any issues - should be your Rega dealer.
 

nopiano

Well-known member
I agree with Chebby's observations and Rega (Paul Darwin) do often respond. It is worrying as such basic matters shouldn't arise any more

It just might be solved by old fashioned ways. That means checking what other items are earthed. Not easy with moulded-on mains plugs, but you might have both amp and preamp grounded to the same mains - and then grounded together via the signal lead. The aim is to avoid an earth loop.

However, don't mess with your new turntable yet. It's unfit for purpose as it stands so you can reject it.
 

neverminding

New member
Nov 16, 2016
1
0
0
Thanks for the replies. I've been in contact with the vendor and they're talking to Rega. Today I moved the TT and amp into another room, unplugged everything else from the mains and tried again but the hum was even worse.

I feel bad if I end up sending it back, but at this point and in this price range, I'm totally fine going with a Pro-ject that I know will be grounded more effectively (never had a problem with with MMF 5.1 here).
 

paul darwin

Well-known member
Feb 21, 2012
0
1
18,500
Hi Chebby, if you look at the full thread you re-post you will see that we are working with the Chinese Distributor / Dealer and customer to affect a solution to his personal issue.

All of our turntables do, obviously, have earthing, not via a separate wire as some others but via a dedicated earth via the left channel connections.

The problem these days is that there are so many products with cheap power supplies (PC / Laptop / Phone / TV / Video / Sky Box etc etc) that can pollute and affect the mains either directly or via their positioning and cable runs within an installation that it is impossible to single out any single component as the problem, so care and attention needs to be exercised and perhaps not a simple knee jerk reaction that the last one installed has created or is indeed the problem.

Our experienced and trained dealer network are at hand to offer advice and help with all systems and they should be the first point of contact as you kindly suggest if any problem arises.

PD
 

chebby

Well-known member
Jun 2, 2008
1,253
26
19,220
paul darwin said:
Hi Chebby, if you look at the full thread you re-post you will see that we are working with the Chinese Distributor / Dealer and customer to affect a solution to his personal issue.

All of our turntables do, obviously, have earthing, not via a separate wire as some others but via a dedicated earth via the left channel connections.

I know this. The first Rega I owned was when you first launched the RB300 tonearm in 1983 IIRC. My second was in 1996 (sky blue special order with a tungsten counterweight and a G1042) until 2007 and my last Rega was the previous series P2 with RB250 around 2009.

I've owned the 'clamshell' Brio (+ matching Rega Radio FM tuner) and two pairs of R3 speakers and the Rega Ear headphone amp. I have also been an influence in successfully persuading numerous friends, colleagues and family to buy your products over the last 30+ years.

You need to know I am not trying to 'dig' at you (or Rega) but feel very disappointed at this company that I have both enjoyed and supported from the rooftops so many times in the past.

I still wish you well and hope this genuinely British engineering company thrives and survives.

I'll stay out of future Rega earthing/hum related threads including this one now.
 

paul darwin

Well-known member
Feb 21, 2012
0
1
18,500
Chebby,

It was not taken as a "dig" in any way, I was merely trying to help the OP as were you, by clarifying the earthing methods we employ which I admit may differ from other manufacturers.

I am unsure as to why you are disappointed with Rega as a company but would invite you to private e mail me to discuss if you feel it is appropriate.

Very best regards,

PD
 

neverminding

New member
Nov 16, 2016
1
0
0
So, just an update for anyone interested. I ended up returning the P1 to the seller. They went a week without a response, but I loved the Rega sound, so I rolled the dice and got a P2 from another seller. It arrived today and after setting it all up...same hum. On top of that, it sounds worse than the P1. I can't put my finger on it, but it's harsh in the mid to upper range and has an almost "metallic" sound in anything but the low frequencies.

The box it came it was pretty banged up and they didn't put in any additional packing material...so the Rega carton was just sloshing around. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but probably can't help. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Kinda bummed. Always wanted a Rega since I first saw High Fidelity in the theatre almost twenty years ago, but there's obvisouly something not compatible with their grounding scheme and my setup that just doesn't show up in any other turntable with a dedicated grounding wire.
 

Al ears

Well-known member
neverminding said:
So, just an update for anyone interested. I ended up returning the P1 to the seller. They went a week without a response, but I loved the Rega sound, so I rolled the dice and got a P2 from another seller. It arrived today and after setting it all up...same hum. On top of that, it sounds worse than the P1. I can't put my finger on it, but it's harsh in the mid to upper range and has an almost "metallic" sound in anything but the low frequencies.

The box it came it was pretty banged up and they didn't put in any additional packing material...so the Rega carton was just sloshing around. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, but probably can't help. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Kinda bummed. Always wanted a Rega since I first saw High Fidelity in the theatre almost twenty years ago, but there's obvisouly something not compatible with their grounding scheme and my setup that just doesn't show up in any other turntable with a dedicated grounding wire.

Are you sure about that? How many have you tried?
 

neverminding

New member
Nov 16, 2016
1
0
0
Al ears said:
Are you sure about that? How many have you tried?

I tried a new Rega P2 and it had the same exact issue. Tried my original MMF 5.1 and while it had a very slight hum, connecting the grounding wire eliminated it completey unless the volume was at an unsafe listening level. Pro-ject DC, no hum. Old Sony TT my brother-in-law had...no hum.

So, for me, it's just not worth the time investment to figure this out. At my level in the hobby, the difference in sound between a Rega in my price range vs. a similar priced Pro-ject or Music Hall isn't great enough to warrant the hassle of back and forth between the vendor, the vendor talking to Rega, disrupting the small living space I have here to try various placement strategies, etc. It's more a disappoint because I've always wanted a Rega, but for practical purposes I don't need one.
 

Freddy58

Well-known member
Jan 24, 2014
105
80
18,670
I've had my old Planar 3 for nearly 30 years which has given me faultless service in all that time. I keep putting off the time for a replacement T/T, but was looking at getting the Planar 6 (?) in the future. This is putting me off, just a bit.
 

TRENDING THREADS