Turntable and speaker upgrade

Blackjam

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
Good morning and Merry Christmas to all, I wondered if you could give me some advice ?

Im about to upgrade my Turntable. I currently have a JVC ql-7 and a Technics 1500 mk1 on the go. Im going to sell them and buy a Rega Planar 3 as Im sure it will outshine both of them put together. ???? I also have a 2m blue cartridge which i will be keeping as I believe its better than the standard one that comes with the rp3?

Also Im saving for a new set of speakers. Either the Q acoustics 3050 or the Monitor Audio bronze 5 or 6.

Im currently using a Nad c370 amp and a Cambridge Audio azur 640c cd player,

Im not going to get the chance to demo these before purchase so I really welcome your feedback and advice please.

many thanks Jamie

You could get your Technics 1500 serviced (if it needs it) and look at a better arm for it, depending on what you’re already using. Would be worth looking at a used SME or a Jelco. They’re still technically excellent decks and still sought after.

I don’t know of many people, if any, that use Ortofon carts with Rega decks.

Which speakers are you using now? What size is your room? Are you after the extra bass that floorstanders tend to give, or do you prefer better detail at the expense of a bit of bass depth? Whichever speakers you look at, you really need to be able to hear them with your amplifier to make sure they work well together - it doesn’t matter how good your source is if your amp/speaker combination isn’t providing the goods.

davidf said:
You could get your Technics 1500 serviced (if it needs it) and look at a better arm for it, depending on what you’re already using. Would be worth looking at a used SME or a Jelco. They’re still technically excellent decks and still sought after.

I don’t know of many people, if any, that use Ortofon carts with Rega decks.

Which speakers are you using now? What size is your room? Are you after the extra bass that floorstanders tend to give, or do you prefer better detail at the expense of a bit of bass depth? Whichever speakers you look at, you really need to be able to hear them with your amplifier to make sure they work well together - it doesn’t matter how good your source is if your amp/speaker combination isn’t providing the goods.

There is, however, no reason to not use an Ortofon cartridge on a Rega deck.....

Regards speakers you will have to get out and audition whatever you can.

davidf said:
Al ears said:
There is, however, no reason to not use an Ortofon cartridge on a Rega deck.....
Of course not, but it just seems a rare thing for people to do or ask about - maybe just coincidence or maybe it just isn’t a good match.

Perhaps it's just, at this level, people are happy to buy decks as a package and they rarely come as anything else from this manufacturer... and Rega do their own cartridges. Put it down to convenience.

NOTE: I am assuming the OP means the new Planar 3 not the older RP3 or the original Planar 3 but whatever all tonearms fitted to these decks are quite capable of carrying a much better cartridge than the Elys which is normally fitted to the more modern deck.

I believe Rega have to look again at their naming of decks.....

Ortofon cartridges are of course normally fitted to Pro-Ject decks because they don't manufacture their own cartridges.

I believe people of your knowledge, as a dealer, should not even imply it might not be a good match without proof.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I think I might be the only one around these parts using Ortofon and Rega together.

Im sure you'll be pleased with the results, and would love to have a blue on my TT.

Mine is an older Planar 3 and needed some shims to raise the arm - the body of the 2M cart is quite large. Unless you are fairly adept, you'll need to get someone to fit it.

Apart from that, I'm of the opinion that for the price, you can't go wrong with a Rega TT....

Merry Christmas!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts